Rare Old D.A.M. Quick 221 Simple Tutorial, Breakdown, Cleaning, Service, Restoration

Started by foakes, January 02, 2015, 08:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Thanks Crow, found these for 7 bucks, they should get the job done.

foakes

Good investment, Clarence --

If the bearing is shielded -- I pop off the shields, toss them in the garbage, clean thoroughly with lacquer thinner and the US cleaner -- then after they are  dried, they get regreased with a mixture of Yamaha blue marine grease and TSI321 or Corrosion X -- about 50/50 mix.

When drying the bearing -- it is not a good idea to spin the bearing with compressed air.  It seems cool to do -- but more damage is done in 2 minutes of spinning a dry bearing at high speed -- then 2 lifetimes of fishing.

When servicing the assembly -- I also polish the spool shaft and the inside of the worm pinion with "0000" steel wool and a small drill bit -- then into the US cleaner for a few minutes to get any tiny bits of steel wool completely gone.  Couple of drops of oil -- and it works like a sewing machine.

I don't say this to you, Clarence -- because you obviously know what you are doing -- but it could be useful for others just starting out on their servicing of reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Looks loke you found a good "set" of pliers !

As too spinning bearings with air.....don't do it !  It makes a neat "siren sound" (that starts happening about 9000 RPM), and lots of folks try it, but, it DOES damage the bearing,(running at 20,000 + RPM, with no lube will do that !) AND, the bearing can "fly apart", throwing high speed shrapnel in all directions. I've seen it happen, more than once.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Fred, would this 1/16" Stanley punch do the job of removing that pin?

foakes

Yes, Festus --

If it is a roll pin type -- a 3/32" might be better.

I keep both punches on hand, plus a 1/8" for larger pins --

But likely it is a pin with a splined, slightly wider end.

Make sure that the wider splined part of the pin is backed out -- then reinserted in the same orientation -- otherwise the crank handle hole may be distorted.

I break about 1 or 2 of these 1/16" punches a year -- so all of mine are Craftsman from Sears.

Just hand them the broken punch -- and they hand you a brand new one.

So far, my 1/8" & 3/32" punches have never broken -- but my original 1/16" punches for $4 -- have been replaced at no charge about a dozen times.

I keep a couple on hand, so when one breaks -- I do not need to stop the assembly line to go get a new one in town.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

I have to admit the handle pins in DAM quicks are my least favorite thing to get out of one that has never come out before in it's 40-60 year life span depending on the model. They are a precise fit with a splined end as Fred mentioned, throw in decades of age corrosion and gum can make them a pain to get out. I have broken a little punch on them before and like fred always keep a spare punch.

festus

Looks like l need a couple of 1/16" punches and a 3/32".  The 220 and Finessa appear to have splined pins.  The 220N has the roll type.

This is the only thing I haven't attempted with a D.A.M. Quick reel, removing the pin.  Got a bent handle on my 220N, so I need to get it off and straighten it.

foakes

Couple of tips on these Quicks --

Always remove the pin, then the crank handle, spring/lock washer, the thumbed handle nut, washer, "C" clip.

Gear and axle just fall right out.

If this is not done -- there is no way to clean the main gear properly, clean the gear/handle axle shaft, and lubricate properly.

Get the gears out -- pop off the bearing -- remove the shields -- evacuate the old grease -- regrease, etc.

When the gears are out completely -- then use some "0000" steel wool wrapped around a drill bit -- and clean out the brass bushings for the crank axle and the rear support for the worm pinion.

After all is cleaned, burnished with Steel Wool -- then clean everything again with a liquid solution (I just use SG & the ultrasonic cleaner) -- rinse, dry, reassemble, oil & lube.

If you use a good oil sparingly such as TSI321, or similar -- after this method -- the performance of your reel will be improved 100% over a part-way job of partial cleaning and lubing.

Main thing is to get the crank pin off first.

For this, I just use a piece of 2X wood -- routed a groove for the crank -- and drilled a hole to knock the pin down into -- takes about 10 seconds.

If these reels are taken all of the way down -- burnished, lubed, and fine tuned -- they are actually better than new. 

And good for another 40 years with just simple cleaning and maintenance.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

handyandy

I couldn't agree with fred more these quicks are darn fine and well made reels. I now might have a slight dam quick addiction/border line problem  ;D

happyhooker

That's a good point, Fred, on popping out the crank pin--to support the piece with a block of wood.  Otherwise, there's always a risk something you don't want to get bent will.

Frank

mo65

It's a shame photobucket has blurred most of the images in this fantastic thread, but there is still a wealth of knowledge and info here. A great tutorial Fred on a great Quick reel...the 221. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Right, Mike --

The 220/221 size reel are favorites with me.

When you examine and use these reels carefully and knowingly -- one cannot help being impressed with the design, thought, engineering, and over the top materials.

Plus, how the various materials interact with each other, is as important as the design itself.

220 has its place as a 1:3 ratio reel good for almost any fresh water species.  The 221 is the 1:5 high-speed version which also fills a great need in certain fishing conditions.

Thanks Mo!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

oc1

Ruffy

I love the polished slide, or 'detailing under the hood' as Mo put it! Good reels, I think I need to track down a 331, then I can get the metal spool from a finessa for a braid ready salt water reel.

Cheers,
Andrew

ClintB

I'm just tickled to death that I found this forum! I've tried to clean and adjust a few reels but was hesitant to dig too deeply for fear of damaging them. After reading through several of these tutorials, I am confident I can do a complete take down, cleaning and reassembly. Thanks to the gurus that impart their vast amount of knowledge and wisdom upon us newbies!