Fishing O'ahu?

Started by coastal_dan, January 02, 2015, 09:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Wow, sounds great...except for the coming in early part...that would be a bummer.  I assume there were no refunds for a shorter trip?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

coastal_dan

Ok, made a reservation with Whipsaw Sportfishing, I wanted to find a place on the South side of the island due to being close to the drop offs and buoys.  We'll be chasing Mahi Mahi, Big Eye Tuna, Spearfish and Marlin (not many yellowfin or ono around in March).  I will be taking a lot of pictures, its a shared charter so hopefully someone will grab some of yours truly.  Thanks to all for suggestions.  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

BMITCH

C_D, can't wait for the reports and pictures. Very envious of the warm weather your about to have. Good luck!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Very cool.  Remember to yell HANAPA'A when you get hooked up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastal_dan

Amazing trip, still suffering from some Jet Lag... ::)

What an Island...what a culture...'nuff said!

Got to meet Bruddah Bill (sick reels available at his shop), very nice and willing to share some fishing tips!  Didn't catch a dang thing because I only surf fished for about 1 1/2 hours at Ko Olina and it was blowing a solid 20 mph, haha.

Here are some cell phone pictures (we took about 1200 pics with the DSLR  :D)

And we ended with some shaved ice!

Blessed by the man up stairs for the ability to take 11 days off from work to spend with my family traveling; we can't wait to go again! ;D 
Dan from Philadelphia...

Alto Mare

Nice to see you had a good time, thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

I'm glad to see you had a great time.  Sorry we were not able to meet up, I am actuslly still infectious.  I wonder if you caught those fish on one of the reels I serviced?  Thanks for sharing the photos, upload a few more if can.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Great Pics Dan! You guys sure look Happy! ;D
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Very nice trip. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Bryan Young

AWESOME.  I have never been to the auction.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 12, 2015, 01:50:25 AM
AWESOME.  I have never been to the auction.

Yea cool obligitory fish auction pics.
I have spent alot of time there and have friends that are fish buyers, fish cutters, and know many of the captainsvthat sell fish here.  Thsnks for sharing.  Did you buy an Ahi?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

coastal_dan

Thanks for looking guys, what a blast.

Daron - Yes, I can say we were quite happy, I am a lucky guy with an amazing family  ;D

John - yeah, hope you get better soon!  Our calendar ended up filling up super fast, but I guess that is vacation, haha.  On the charter we fished Tiagra 130's and the guys had nothing but positive things to say about the big Shimano's, and they are huge!

The auction was spectacular, so many fish just moving in and out.  Even my wife thought it was fantastic; seeing those big Opah was her favorite part.  We had some Ahi from the charter so no I didn't buy anything, but it looked a little intimidating for a main lander, haha.  Looks like a tight knit group for sure.  We did meet a super nice guy who basically said "You're not from around here are you?" and thus started a nice 20 min conversation about the auction and fish preparation.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Ron Jones

Opah are high on my list. I love hanging out on the pier and at the auction. I live 6 miles from Ko Olina, we go there often, it is amazing how much that place has grown in the last three years.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Look at our guy Coastal Dan living La Dolce Vita.    :) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!