Please help. I'm about to give up on my S332–5

Started by Stylo328, January 06, 2015, 02:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stylo328

Hello all, I have a Newell S332–5 that I picked up secondhand about two years ago. The reel sat unused until this summer. I noticed that the action was sticking, and never having worked on a reel, I took it to my local tackle shop to have it repaired.

We attempted to use the reel last week only to find that it is continuing to stick. I tightened and loosened the drag but the issue remained. It appears that the spool is sliding side to side and when slid to the crank side the stinking worsens.

I apologize if I'm using the wrong terminology as this is all new to me. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Stylo328 on January 06, 2015, 02:54:52 AM
Hello all, I have a Newell S332–5 that I picked up secondhand about two years ago. The reel sat unused until this summer. I noticed that the action was sticking, and never having worked on a reel, I took it to my local tackle shop to have it repaired.

We attempted to use the reel last week only to find that it is continuing to stick. I tightened and loosened the drag but the issue remained. It appears that the spool is sliding side to side and when slid to the crank side the stinking worsens.

I apologize if I'm using the wrong terminology as this is all new to me. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

No worries at all we are here to help. :)

Be sure to look at Alan's tutorial for the 220 in this section of the forum, it should help you out too.

There should be an adjustment on the left side (screw) bearing cup that will properly center the spool, I believe. There should be minimal side to side play of the spool when it is adjusted properly. Just a tiny bit is just right. If it moves too much it won't properly go into gear and jam.

start there and do your best to communicate what you see and we'll do our best to help.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

it sounds like your right side plate Bearing  needs to be shimmed.  If you would you like me to take a look at it please send me a PM and I'll send you my address.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Send it to me and I can fix it for you or at least find the problem and let you know if you need parts. Probably just a minor adjustment. Send me a PM.

fIsHsTiiCkS

These guys will take care of you! When you get your reel back, you can be sure it will be working perfect!

Bryan Young

Saw your other posting.  Newell Nut can help you, and he is located in Florida as well.  Maybe a chance to go fishing and get your reel fixed at the same time.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Stylo328

Thank you all! I will be mailing the reel to NewellNut for some repairs and maybe even a few upgrades. I'll keep you posted.

Any thoughts from the crowd on what rod to pair with this reel? I originally had it on a star rod, but that has since been paired with a Shimano Torium 20. We mostly troll for dolphin and bottom fish for grouper.

Thanks again,

Newell Nut

I love my 332s and they handle some pretty heavy fish up in the water column but bottom fishing for heavy grouper may be a little challenging with the 5 speed. The reel will work great with 30 and 40 lb mono but it will always cast better with 30.

I use mine on an old Sabre 7' 20-50, calstar 700L, calstar 800m (my favorite), Rainshadow 20-40 7'9" is another blank that I am really fond of. I have been watching a buddy catch a lot of kings lately on this blank that I built a spinning rod on for him. This would be a great blank for a 332 and very light in weight.

Newell Nut

Folks when you open a reel that just got serviced for a high fee then it should not look like this photo. Lot of people will just flat rob you blind.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

You are right, NN --

I get these occasionally -- call them "blow n gos".

Pop open the side just partially , shoot a little grease in there, screw it back together, spray it with WD40, wipe down, blow it off -- go collect $30 -- maybe replace the drags for another $20..

No conscience or concern for the client -- no respect for the reel -- no integrity -- and of course, no pride in workmanship.

Looks at least like a new main, pinion, some screws, full evacuation of all greases, new drags, and likely a little more.

Would you mind showing it to us when you are done?

Will not look like the same reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Newell Nut

What a can of worms. I discovered that every cross bolt in the reel was broken but luckily I have one complete set for a 332.

johndtuttle

What a shame.  >:(

Fwiw I never liked the Newell eccentric jack system. Seems no improvement and additional complexity.

Newell Nut

All done guys. Installed a 5 stack drag system with Cal's so we should not see rust again in the gear. The 3-18 washer was missing so installed a new Keta special for perfect spacing. The bearing adjuster was in poor condition so there is a SS upgrade installed, installed my only set of cross bolts well greased, cleaned the underside of all the SS rings and lubed and also installed the Sal designed under gear and top of stack delrin. Spool spins nice and fast and the drag is very smooth and strong. I also removed the handle knob and greased it. Washed well after each use and this one is ready for 30 years of good service.

Should anyone shop for a used Newell always look at the left side plate really close and if you see those smooth head screws don't buy unless you are planning to use a Tiburon frame. Biggest mistake Carl Newell made was that thru body bolt design and mainly because they did not get heavily greased on assembly.