Shining up old Bakelite sideplates

Started by Islandgypsy, January 06, 2015, 05:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islandgypsy

Just acquired a 1950 Silver Beach 99 in just about new condition with the exception of the sideplates. Matte black and faded. I haven't read all the old posts' so forgive me if this has been discussed previously.
  Any suggestions on products or technique to shine these plates back to the best condition? Don't want to muff this with products I have on hand and possibly do more harm than good. Thanks for any suggestions
      G.B.

Shark Hunter

I have heard of guys using shoe polish GB. I haven't tried it myself, but I have not heard of any negative effects from it.
Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 06, 2015, 06:23:24 PM
I have heard of guys using shoe polish GB. I haven't tried it myself, but I have not heard of any negative effects from it.

I've tried shoe polish, both wax (Kiwi) and cream. Didn't see much difference, unfortunately.

I think I'm going to give Armor All (or something like it) a shot.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Islandgypsy

Just finishing up spit shining the plates ( just like boot camp) ,better, but still won't pass muster :-[
  G.B.

broschro

Old greasy toothbrush. Works good on mine, brush it in good, wipe it off with a clean old t-shirt.they shine good.

Bryan Young

Marine grease from my hands or CorrosionX works great for me.

Polish up after that.  It helps by providing a moisture barrier since bakelite tends to absorb moisture expanding the sideplates.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Aiala

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 06, 2015, 07:11:05 PM
It helps by providing a moisture barrier since Bakelite tends to absorb moisture expanding the sideplates.

Huh! So, Bakelite actually is porous (albeit on a microscopic level)? Didn't know that.  :)

~A~

foakes

Does anyone here remember the old black bakelite telephones?

This is what I use:

GLAYZIT

ARROW-MAGNOLIA INTERNATIONAL, INC. 2646 Rodney Lane
Dallas, Texas 75229
Toll Free: 800.527.2101
Fax: 972.484.2896 www.arrowmagnolia.com

Works very well -- it is used on all types of bakelite.  From electronics, old radios, telephones, bowling balls, etc.

It is a standard in the telephone industry for the old units.

Call the above number, talk to Jack at extension #587 -- they only sell by the case since they are a wholesale distributor since 1927.  Case is $129.60 for 12 aerosol cans -- that is $10.80 each.

Or, call Mike Sandman in Illinois.  1-630-980-7710 -- they will sell by the can.  Hopefully you will get put on hold at Mike Sandman's -- so you can listen to the recording while you wait -- it is great!

A case at Sandman's is $151.95 + about $12 - $16 shipping to California -- it must go ground, since it is a hazardous product.  A single can is $13.59 + about $10 shipping.

I generally hesitate to buy aerosol products by the case -- since by the time I get to the last 6 of 12 -- they sometimes lose their steam -- and I wasted a lot of $$$.  However, I end up selling some to clients -- and make enough to cover the product I purchase -- and still have enough for me.  But it is only for walk-in clients, since I do not want to go through the hassle of shipping hazardous materials -- takes too much time and money.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Leave it to Fred! He has all the bases Covered! ;)
Life is Good!

Aiala

Islandgypsy

Well I blew it, didn't know about the stuff when the wife and I passed through Bridgeport coming and going from our seven day last August, coulda stopped in and picked up a can ;D.

Aiala, used a product similar to Armorall, a Turtle Wax product called 2001. That old bakelite soaked it up like a sponge. The reel is in good condition but appears to have sat in a sunny windowsill for the last sixty years. I'll try to post a pic when I get it back together.

I'll have to research a source for GLAYZIT in less than case quanities, if Fred says it's what to use, you KNOW it's what to use.      G.B

fIsHsTiiCkS

I use brasso and a Dremel with a buffing attachment. Here is the results I got.

Islandgypsy

Thanks for all the suggestions, seems there's more than one way to skin a cat! Will try the brasso next. Came out O.K. but there's always new tricks to learn on this forum. And yeah,Fred, I remember Bakelite telephones...used to call my wife on one in high school ;D

Aiala

Just ordered a can of Glayzit... gosh, that stuff is expensive! :P  But if Fred recommends it, 'nuff said. I can't wait to try it out on a very old Long Beach 68 (with the lighthouse side plate and no stamped part numbers.)  :)

~A~

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Aiala on January 06, 2015, 10:33:17 PM
Just ordered a can of Glayzit... gosh, that stuff is expensive! :P  But if Fred recommends it, 'nuff said. I can't wait to try it out on a very old Long Beach 68 (with the lighthouse side plate and no stamped part numbers.)  :)

~A~

Post pics!  I would love to see it after its done!