Shining up old Bakelite sideplates

Started by Islandgypsy, January 06, 2015, 05:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 06, 2015, 10:50:36 PM
Post pics! I would love to see it after its done!

Of course I will, but the Glayzit stuff won't arrive for a few days.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Hi Aiala --

You might do a little experimentation on a couple of old loose sideplates to get the feel of how long to leave the solution on before wiping and polishing.  You have a broken Sideplate coming back to you in the mail, along with an assembled new one.

They do claim that the product will clean and polish -- but I prefer to clean the sideplates, dry them completely, then apply the Glayzit -- let it stay on for 3 to 30 minutes, depending on how bad they are -- then buff them dry with a soft cloth.  Sometimes I will also use an automotive chamois for a final rub down, after the cloth.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Quote from: foakes on January 07, 2015, 06:08:56 AM
I prefer to clean the sideplates, dry them completely, then apply the Glayzit -- let it stay on for 3 to 30 minutes, depending on how bad they are -- then buff them dry with a soft cloth.  Sometimes I will also use an automotive chamois for a final rub down, after the cloth. Best, Fred

Good morning, Fred...

Sounds like a plan, I'll do exactly that. I've already Simple Greened the Long Beach side plates, they are bone-dry and clean as a whistle, but awfully faded; the Glayzit will have a perfect opportunity to shine!  :D

~A~

P.S. Come to think of it, I'll probably treat the Silver Beach you fixed, too!

fishhead69

Good old fashion olive oil works great for me.

Tightlines667

I have been using Mothers Back to Black.  It works, but sometimes takes several applications and some elvo grease.  A buffing wheel on the drill or benchtop grinder takes some of the work out of the process.  I suspect the results might also be limited to 6-12months of reexpisure to the elements.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

RowdyW

Did you guys ever try your wifes' furniture polish? Lemon Pledge works for me & smells great.Spray it on, rub it in with your finger, & buff it up with a soft cloth. Just let it soak awhile. Even overnight.     RUDY

Dominick

Quote from: fishhead69 on February 01, 2015, 11:26:43 PM
Good old fashion olive oil works great for me.
Fishhead you must be Italian.  We use olive oil for everything.  ;)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

George4741

I've recently heard about using mayonnaise to polish kitchen cabinets.  Hmm, I wonder....
viurem lliures o morirem

Aiala

Fred's Glayzit recommendation was spot-on; the plates seemed to drink it in and now look much less weather-worn. For additional lustre, I coat them with light synthetic oil and put them in a baggie for overnight or even longer. Wipe off the excess, and... SHINY!   :D

~A~

George4741

I'm been using Armor All on my Long Beach plates several times today.  They seem to be coming back to life, but I suspect they'll always have a somewhat dull mat finish.  We'll see....
viurem lliures o morirem

Slazmo

303 Protectant!

I swear by it on exposed plastics.

fishhead69

Yeh Dominick I am part Italian. Just add a little garlic and you're good to go. LOL

coastal_dan

I just used Corrosion X on a few 4/0 Senators from a friend that had been left OUTSIDE for the last few years...sigh.  The plates were basically white, sprayed them with Corrosion X and let them sit for a few minutes, then wiped off and walked away.  After about 20 minutes they look GREAT, obviously not brand new, but far better than I thought I would be able to get them.  Hope this helps!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

LTM