OKUMA A Series Andros 5AII

Started by JGB, January 07, 2015, 12:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric_LBZ

BTW...If i want to use this as a 40# rig for local So Cal Offshore fishing YFT,bluefin or YT. Should i go with 50# Braid or 65# with a short 40# mono topshot.

justindfish

I know anti reverse bearings are not the best idea but I want an andros for speed jigging and I want something with the bearing. Anyone think one could be pressed in and made to work. I know the single speed has one but I need the dual drags using the reel at 13-15lbs of drag. From the picks it looks like a simple swap but it's never as easy as it seems.

Eric_LBZ

Just got my Andros today.  i noticed a little play on the Drag knob and the drag lever when setting the drag. i noticed that when i turn the drag knob clockwise the drag lever moves with it a little bit.  Is this normal?

wallacewt

hi eric
i think the simple and best way is just contact okuma direct
lots of reels have that movement,but this is their newest model
and not to many people own one

JGB

Yes this is normal. All 6 of my A5II have about 1 detente of play. You can tighten this up a bit by punching the edges of the cam bore (on the flat sides) to make them fit tighter. I have found the play is not an issue in actual use.

Jim N.

Eric_LBZ

Got an Andros A5Nlla less than a month ago.  Used it two times just tossing a surface iron, no fish caught on it yet. Well it just got shipped to Okuma for repair as the reel is now binding when the drag set to strike. I have been using the standard 5All with no issues. Hope Okuma can get his resolved fast.

Tiddlerbasher

Has anyone tried to ugrade the original Andros with the dual force drag kit. If it's possible I will try it.

Rivverrat

I was told by Okuma it cant be done.They didnt know for sure at the time they had my reel but checked & said the frames are slightly different internally. I'm hearing there is more usable drag on the A series?

Rivverrat

For any who care I have had two different shops say with out hesitation that the A Series Andros 5 can be fished at 15 lbs. of drag with out side load issue. I have been trying for some time to verify this. Which means I'm getting a A-Series 5  & my original 5N will now get used for 30 & not 40 lb.