Chasing kings in New Zealand

Started by redsetta, January 10, 2015, 05:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

Great pic and some nice fishing. Those kingfish look kind of like the Florida AJ.

Steve-O

I thought the same thing, Dwight,  when I saw them  AJs or reef donkeys, as we have called them.

I'd wear those shorts! ;D

Good onya, Justin! I like the recipes, too. I have used pickled sushi ginger with the tiniest bit of ground nutmeg sprinkled on top of some grilled fillets. YUM!

redsetta

Cheers Steve-O, will try a little nutmeg on the next one - hopefully sooner rather than later ;)
Heading for Matapouri Bay this weekend, so ya never know!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

MarkT

Nice going and I like your fashion sense.  Your Kingies are the same as our Yellowtail although yours get bigger. For you East Coasters, Kingies and YT are jacks and closely related to AJ's. I usually just have mine raw with soy sauce and Wasabi. Hamachi!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

redsetta

Just got back from a few days in the Far North.
Found a sketchy cliff climb and rocky outcrop, with a nice wash into deep water.
Ran a livie (kahawai) out and, after about an hour, got hit by my biggest-ever king.
Had it on my custom, double-dog, 12-tooth ratchet 9500SS, with 80lb braid and 200lb leader, on a Backbone Elite 24kg land-based game rod.
By far the strongest fish I've ever had on - nearly had me off the rocks on one hard run.
Got it in to 10-15ft from me and we eyeballed each other a bit - him on his side looking up at me.
He was truly massive - easy 30kg (60+lb) and close to 5ft.
Unfortunately, a while later he busted me off.
This ain't the fish, but is a dead ringer for the one I had on.

Pretty gutted I lost him, but it was a titanic battle like nothing I've experienced - my left shoulder's toast after the strain.
Still managed to bring home two snapper, a nice trevally and a couple of solid, sea-run kahawai, but it seems cold comfort. 'The one that got away...' :(
Righto, hope yer all well.
Cheers, Justin

Tightlines667

Wow!
Great story!
Fishing for thise big fish off of the rocks must be exciting.  Bet you would want a lonf bamboo pole gaff to land 'em from the cliffs.  Sounds like that midded Penn held up nice under the strain?  Keep at it, and you will land a monster on day.
Thanks for sharing!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

redsetta

Cheers mate - yeah, the SS was up to the job (though I need a stronger handle arm), but one knot in the leader let me down.
I just hope this wasn't my 'once in a lifetime' moment with a king that size.

wallacewt

good stuff justin
we have got our annual trek up north on the 2nd of march for a week
ill be takin the ANSAC.

BMITCH

Justin, you'll have other chances. Sorry you didn't win this one. It's amazing how big fish always find the weakest link in the tackle. That's why they are so big. Great story and report. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

foakes

Great report, Justin --

Of the thousands of fishing trips a lot of us have taken -- there are always a few that we will never forget -- and we continue to enjoy the memory forever -- always with the hope and promise of another trip to stack on top of the previous adventures.

And, another larger fish.

One of the fondest memories for me was being on a solo 9-day backpacking trip into a very remote wilderness area of the Sierras.  3rd week in October, very cold, snow possible in a few days, 16 miles past the last remote place with any hint of civilization.

Early morning on a small 30 acre natural lake -- in a one man rubber raft, steam coming off of the lake, deer in the meadow.  Hook, net, and land a 5 pound, 23 inch Rainbow -- on a Quick 110 Microlight with a 5' Fenwick ultralight glass rod, 4 pound test.  Tackle was good, but the fish was wild -- and never hooked before.  Found out that the best method was to let him pull me around in circles -- with a lightly loose drag.  Tire him out with the natural resistance of the raft in the water.  10 - 15 minutes to land it -- jumped clear of the surface numerous times.  I can still feel my soaked Levi's and shirt, and taste the flaky pink meat after wrapping in foil -- with lemon and butter, salt and pepper --and cooking under the coals of the campfire.

Caught 4 more similar that day -- and released them all.

Not as impressive as your adventure -- but memorable in many other ways.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Quote from: foakes on January 26, 2015, 04:02:24 PM
One of the fondest memories for me was being on a solo 9-day backpacking trip into a very remote wilderness area of the Sierras.  3rd week in October, very cold, snow possible in a few days, 16 miles past the last remote place with any hint of civilization.

Early morning on a small 30 acre natural lake -- in a one man rubber raft, steam coming off of the lake, deer in the meadow.  Hook, net, and land a 5 pound, 23 inch Rainbow -- on a Quick 110 Microlight with a 5' Fenwick ultralight glass rod, 4 pound test. 

Holy Moly Fred!!!!   23" Wild Rainbow????  We've got to sch. a backpack trip!
I've carried a Mitchel Garcia 308, a 4-piece blank fenwick rod my Dad hanwrapped & glued on the cork handle, and assorted lures, have caught and released ONE 18", have seen MANY larger fish, a few U-Boats if you will, but NEVER a 23" wild trout.

Where were you in the Sierra Nevada Mountains on that trip???

I've sent my youth and many summer weeks with my sons on backcountry trips.  Can name 15+ lakes and some streams where I've seen this  Leviathans!!!!  Always the most wild and remote part of the Sierra mountains.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

Sorry you didn't land that one Justin, it will keep it interesting for next time ;). if fishing was always easy, we wouldn't be interested as we are.

Fred, that's a great story. Don't attempt a 9 day trip by yourself again ;)
Thanks for sharing guys.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

That's why its fishing and not catching Justin. Sorry he got away. I bet that was a blast on the 9500. ;)
Great Story Fred! ;D
Life is Good!

redsetta

Cheers lads - will just have to keep trying.
Fred, what an adventure - thanks for sharing!