Penn Chronoligical History Book

Started by Penn Chronology, January 24, 2015, 05:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

If anyone is interested in purchasing my book about the first 25 years of Penn History, please just PM me. I will send you my address.

It is available from a few sources but I also want to make it available here, at the lowest price I can sell it at. Please PM me and I will send you my address. If you send a check or money order for $55.00, I will send a signed soft cover copy out anywhere in the continental United States. I have now dropped the price of my personal copies sold at this website to $49.95.

I have ordered a number of copies to sell on my own. These will be coming directly from me. I will sign, date and / or personalize or inscribe whatever you may want on the first blank page of the book. If you like. Otherwise they will simply be signed and dated.

Please have patience if the PM is sent to me on the weekend. I am away from my computer on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

Thank You

alantani

i stickied this to the top!  please feel free to put a duplicate post in the "for sale" section.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Penn Chronology

Quotei stickied this to the top!  please feel free to put a duplicate post in the "for sale" section.

Thank you Alan, I posted again in the "For Sale" section.

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Penn Chronology

QuoteExcellent job, loving my copy of it.

Thank you very much.

Bryan Young

Received my book on Friday night.  Thank you.  So much information.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteReceived my book on Friday night.  Thank you.  So much information.

Hope you enjoy it. No matter how much info is included, there is never enough............ :)

TomT

Received my copy on Fri.  In no cal we have been having long, multiple power outages due to the wind, weather.  I have been reading this book when I find time and it is very interesting and very informative.  As a retired working man, it is almost inconceivable that you work full time and have studied the reel business this much and then find time to write a book of this quality!!! ::) ;D  You are an amazing man and I stand in awe!!
TomT

Penn Chronology

QuoteAs a retired working man, it is almost inconceivable that you work full time and have studied the reel business this much and then find time to write a book of this quality!!! Roll Eyes Grin  You are an amazing man and I stand in awe!!

Thank You.

fishhead69

Your book is awesome Mike. I have the softbound and the hardbound editions. Question about pre war Penn Senator reels. Those models did not have numbers on the parts right? What years were these made? I just put together a set of pre war Penn Senators in 4/0, 6/0 and 9/0 size. I just want to make sure they are the reel deel.

Penn Chronology

QuoteYour book is awesome Mike. I have the softbound and the hardbound editions. Question about pre war Penn Senator reels. Those models did not have numbers on the parts right? What years were these made? I just put together a set of pre war Penn Senators in 4/0, 6/0 and 9/0 size. I just want to make sure they are the reel deel.

First, I am very glad you enjoyed the book and Thank You for purchasing both editions.

Second, yes, you are correct, anything made pre-war had no part numbers. Part numbers were slowly phased in after the war. By about 1953 most Penn metal parts had part numbers stamped on them. Pre-war Senator are also configured in the early build style which put the bridge housing at 5 o:clock position and the free spool lever at the 11 o:clock position. By the late 1940's that changed to the modern build style. According to the catalogs, first generation build styles were used until 1948, but the reality of it is the second generation (Modern) build styles were probably phased in earlier than that depending on the size Senator we are talking about. Sometimes the catalogs were late in changing their illustrations.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 15, 2015, 06:09:03 AM
QuoteYour book is awesome Mike. I have the softbound and the hardbound editions. Question about pre war Penn Senator reels. Those models did not have numbers on the parts right? What years were these made? I just put together a set of pre war Penn Senators in 4/0, 6/0 and 9/0 size. I just want to make sure they are the reel deel.

First, I am very glad you enjoyed the book and Thank You for purchasing both editions.

Second, yes, you are correct, anything made pre-war had no part numbers. Part numbers were slowly phased in after the war. By about 1953 most Penn metal parts had part numbers stamped on them. Pre-war Senator are also configured in the early build style which put the bridge housing at 5 o:clock position and the free spool lever at the 11 o:clock position. By the late 1940's that changed to the modern build style. According to the catalogs, first generation build styles were used until 1948, but the reality of it is the second generation (Modern) build styles were probably phased in earlier than that depending on the size Senator we are talking about. Sometimes the catalogs were late in changing their illustrations.

Hi Mike, any idea when the 2nd edition will be available ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteHi Mike, any idea when the 2nd edition will be available ??

I have much too many projects. Wish I could answer that; but, I have no idea. Even my publisher in plowed under with work. I can say a Penn Source book for the first 25 years is close and then the Ocean City book will move into the editing phase. Usually do not talk about this stuff because from first edit to finished product can take a long time when there are limited hands involved in the job.

Do not really know if there will be a second edition. I would imagine it depends on sales.

Sure wish I was a writer, then I could answer these type questions better............ :-[

foakes

Michael --

We really appreciate your knowledge, and your taking the thousands of hours needed to prepare books of this magnitude -- just for us.

Not easy -- and in this day and age of everything being instant -- some folks do not realize what a gem you have crafted in both books.

You did not just talk about it, like most of us -- you did it!

These are my go-to references for most things Penn.

I am grateful.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

BryanC

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 14, 2016, 03:25:20 PM

. . . and then the Ocean City book will move into the editing phase. . .

You have an Ocean City book coming out?  Sign me up for a copy!