Which conventional to rebuild for surf fishing??

Started by TheReelGuy850, January 26, 2015, 02:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

A good solution would be to find a 501 -- then install an Accurate or Tiburon frame -- providing the spool was aluminum.

Otherwise, you will just need  an old 500, narrow frame, and narrow aluminum spool -- and of course your other upgrades -- such as a better handle, sleeve, greased CF & SS drag stack, etc.

One can spend an unlimited amount of $$$ on a Jigmaster -- but I would determine where I want to end up at, develop a plan, and stick to it.  That way you will have exactly what you want -- with the minumum expense to get there.  A lot will be dictated by how, where, and what you fish for.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TheReelGuy850

Thanks Fred!Ill be on the hunt in a few weeks.Moving into a new house and will have a nice lil shop for my obsession of tinkering and tuning these old workhorses ;D
The Reel Guy
Fishing reel and rod repair service
Panama City, Florida

canoecaper

970 if you want to cast.
Line?  Weight? Distance?

0.40mm 200gm >150yards.

Use up the rod handle unless your hands / thumbs are big.
Takes ceramics.  Makes it really quiet.
Clutch will pull > 10lbs.
Use a 349H star and GLS 40 handle.  Can fit a SS 4/0 sleeve if you must.
Sweet.

Rgds.
Malcolm

handi2

Quote from: TheReelGuy850 on January 27, 2015, 04:45:58 PM
Thanks Fred!Ill be on the hunt in a few weeks.Moving into a new house and will have a nice lil shop for my obsession of tinkering and tuning these old workhorses ;D

Im just a couple of hours from you in Pensacola, FL. Gulf Breeze to be exact. I have bunches of Jigmaster parts and reels if you need any help.

Keith Rawson
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

If you want distance try a 440 newell, a no letter or a g. 40lb mono and 4 or 5 ounces of lead. The jigs masters a fine but don't spin as well as a newell. I just got done with fixing up a 970 and was a little disappointed in the distance, I'm thinking I should take the magnet out. If you using 40lb mono it's easy to pick out the birds nests,everyone gets em, don't care who you are. A long rod's a must for distance 12' is nice but 10' works well too(if you hook something big have your chiropractor on speed dial, the long rod will kill you).
I fish the local pier most Saturdays and a couple of the fellas fish just for thresher sharks. They use heavy 8' rods and bone stock penn 113h with 80lb braid, A 10oz sinker and let it fly. It's either a thing of beauty or an epic birdnest.
A lot of good choices, and a good case could be made of all the reels on here.
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

fishhawk

for distance w/ 2-4 oz lead, I would have to go with the surfmaster 100 or squider 146 n yes ya better mag 'em!

steelhead_killer

When I was living in Florida and fishing the surf regularly, I used a 10+ rod with a ABU 6500 with 50lb braid and a shock leader to match the weight I was casting.  That was before I had a Newell.  If I was to do it again, between the castability and the lower maintenance required on a Newell 200 or 300 series with much better drag, I would use a Newell 229 or a 332 with 50lb braid and a shock leader!  On the Florida coast you did not have to worry about structure for the fish to wrap you in.  So I was able to use a beefed up ABU 6500 with a Full Aluminum Frame and new drags did the job.  Biggest was a 5' Blacktip Shark.  If I had a Newell with better drags, it would have been a much faster landing.  MY 2 cents

Andy
><)))">

mo65

Great choice on the jiggy ReelGuy850...the possibilities are nearly endless for that reel...so take your time and surf the custom builders forums here. As far as that 309...check out this thread about my 309 project...might see some ideas to try. 8)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18587.0
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

My two cents... Go with a squidda.  More manageable than the Jig and better freespool, but slower retrieve.  If you want low budget, a 140 with bakelite spool works fine, just put some dacron backing under your mono (20-30lb).  Use the tension knob to keep free-spool reasonable, and thumb the side of the spool (not the line). Keep the cast smooth; off-the-ground cast is a good start.

First upgrades, a bigger handle and aluminum spool. The standard Jigmaster handle is a good fit.   With the AL spool you can add mags cheap if you decide you want them.  You can always sell it later if you go to a different width.

Next, if there is any roughness or looseness in the internals, you can put in a stainless sleeve and carbon drags.

Next upgrade, Newell bars, and optionally, base.  Decide which width you want.  I think the 145 (medium) is the best one.  The bars and base are a little pricey.  The 146 is especially coveted, but IMHO is priced too high in the auction market, and line capacity is a little low.   The spools alone go for $50.  The 145 feels just right for surf.

handi2

I have 2 Daiwa Slosh reels I'm going to sell. Both of them have the solid machined aluminum frames. These reel have excellent freespool. One of them has the disengaging spool. It really spins.

I'll post a picture when I can.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL