Sealine 600h project: double dogs and more

Started by Three se7ens, January 26, 2015, 04:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

I've had this 600h for a little while now, and am getting it ready for fishing season. First, a little cleaning and some tlc to go with it. Then I started on adding a second dog, like gstours did.

I cut the dog from some stainless scrap I had laying around.  Rough cut the profile on a bandsaw, then filed it to final size.   The side plate was done on the milling machine. I added some jbweld to the side plate that I'm going to drill and tap, and use to connect the dog spring to.

If there is an interest, I can have a batch of dogs cut on the waterjet.

Next up will be an insert and drag kit. I'll have a prototype in another week or two.

Alto Mare

Very nice Adam, it really shows when a pro does it, compared to something I would do ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Don't sell yourself short. Your dremel work is second to none. Besides, so many of the things we do to these reels started with you.

It did take 3 tries to get the dog shaped right.

I finished up the side plate. Milled down the jbweld and drilled and tapped it for a #4 screw to hold the spring. Just need to order a spring.

redsetta

Nice work Adam.
QuoteI cut the dog from some stainless scrap I had laying around.
I'm impressed!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

foakes

Hi Adam --

I am including a spring that may fit this 600 -- for the additional dog.

Your sideplate is being mailed today -- the spring will be with it.

Thank you again, for the handles.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Three se7ens

Thanks Fred, that looks like it will work great.

gstours

You just cant beat this reels features for the price.  I am honored to have helped pave the way.  I like the way you can install the dogs with the sideplate assembled. the gears are beefy. parts are cheap.  but many a man is too proud to give them a second look.   gst.

Shark Hunter

Yes you did Gary! ;)
I only have two Daiwa sealines. A 900H and a 600H. I realize their potential. I just can't keep my grubby paws off my Senators long enough to fool with them, but they are on the back burner. ;D
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

All double dogs are finished, thanks to the spring from Fred. 

Alto Mare

Adam, it looks like it was always there. Great job!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Adam, your work looks super, I hope the fishee,s appreciate enough to jump on the hook!

I have some Diawa 600h  watercut .020"" titanium keyed dragwashers (about a dozen) that  are excess to my needs I would sell for $2.50 each to anybody wanting them for their upgrades.    like 5 for $12.50  thats obtainable!    gst.

Three se7ens

Got the prototype done up for the insert and drag kit.  I cant test it until I get the reel painted and back together, but based on my experience with the kits for the penn 113H and 114H, Im expecting well over 50 lbs of max drag, probably more along the lines of 60 lbs.  The real question here though will be what the reel can survive.

LTM

Great work Adam,

Will you be adding an Acetel/Delrin washer for under the gear in the kit? Dont forget about extra cf/metal drag kits only for both of your kits (for future replacement parts) please.

Leo

BMITCH

Great job Adam. I'm not a diawa fan but when I see that you started the thread I feel that I need to check it out. Your work is above most. These pictures I'll bet don't do it justice. I know this because I received the insert and washers for my 113H and in hand and seeing for myself these are just quality products. I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Keep up the good work.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.