Chonoligical History of Penn Reels---Book Sale

Started by Penn Chronology, January 26, 2015, 05:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Penn Chronology

QuoteI would love to see a historical account for Vom Hofe (the two brothers)  and Pfluger reels (Capitals, Templars,...)  as well.

Bryan,

There are excellent books already published about Edward Vom Hofe and Pflueger.

This book is a excellent study of Edward Vom Hofe:  http://edwardvomhofe.com/

As for Pflueger, this one is great:    http://www.amazon.com/Pflueger-Heritage-Lures-Reels-1881-1952/dp/1574325523/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423095318&sr=1-1&keywords=pflueger+heritage

Both of these books and many more are available. They do not get publicized like a Steven King or James Paterson book would be, so, many of them go unnoticed.

Actually, The Vom Hofe family goes back to just after the Civil War, you remember that one, it is the one when the North was the winner......... :)

Anyways, After the Civil War, Mr Fritz Vom Hofe began the legacy of the Vom Hofe's and his sons Edward and Julius carried the reel making art up to the 1940's. I can post info about Vom Hofe and Pflueger if there is an interest here. I was not sure how much history the members are interested in.

Many of the great reel makers did not survive the industrialization of the production of fishing reels. Companies like Bronson and Ocean City partnered with some of the classic makers but the essence of business is profit, you cannot build a Hand Made Vom Hofe, Joe Coxe or Kovalovsky reel and expect to be able to compete with a company like Penn, consequently, the classic makers disappeared but many of their reels survive.

--Authur Kovalovsky--9/O

--1920's Pflueger Templar

--Julius Vom Hofe--B Ocean Model--Size 6/O---This reel is named after the man that basically designed and worked out the bugs of star drags in big game reels.

Alto Mare

That 1920 Templar is a beauty, too bad I only own the right side plate, but I often grab it and play with it.

This reel has some amazing features for being almost 100 year old.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThat 1920 Templar is a beauty, too bad I only own the right side plate, but I often grab it and play with it.

The Pflueger Templar was a interesting reel. The early models from the 1920's had all their features mounted on the outside of the reel. The drag handle is not a Pflueger part. It was made by a company named Williams and goes back to 1902, it can be installed on a few different brand reels. Pflueger offered it on many of their models along with the external, spring loaded anti-reverse piston. Here is a page from an mid 1920's Pflueger catalog showing how many different sizes the Templar model was offered in.

Alto Mare

Thanks for the info Mike... always interesting. I should send the plate to door manufacturers, so they could see how its done, they could use a better design on their locks ;D.
That spring loaded  anti-reverse piston is amazing and so are other features.
50, 60 dollars was a lot of money then.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks for the info Mike... always interesting.
That spring loaded  anti-reverse piston is amazing and so are other features.
50, 60 dollars was a lot of money then.

The spring loaded anti-reverse piston was an after-market product as well as a part used for a Pflueger. They were advertised as a "Drag Stop" not anti-reverse and were around for many years. Some of them had full free spool lever to enable the fisherman the ability to engage the free spool function or eliminate it and make it a knuckle buster or they came with a short handle which made them more adaptable. That little gizmo can be installed on any reel as long as the head plate has the space for it. It actually is the first convertible drag. I have seen it installed on a Penn reel:

The prices in this catalog are a sign of the Roaring Twenties. They are Pre-Depression prices. These prices are what gave Penn an edge. Otto Henze introduced his reels in 1932, the full height of the Depression, so his engineering and prices were adjusted for the bad market, companies like Pflueger and Ocean City had established their pricing and build styles before the Depression and had to restructure their ways of doing business. They never caught up to Penn. Pflueger eventually got out of the Salt Water market for the most part and we all know what happened to Ocean City.

coastal_dan

Mike - Just received my copy.  Thank You for the amount of time and passion you put into this!  The sheer amount of info is overwhelming.  I think I'll have to go chapter by chapter because just leafing through it got me mesmerized.

I especially like the 1957 letter from the V.P. at Penn - he basically said fishing is good for your emotional and physical health.  I showed it to my wife and said...."See!"

Again, our sincere thanks in this endeavor.

P.S. Looking forward to 1957 - 1982  and beyond  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteI especially like the 1957 letter from the V.P. at Penn - he basically said fishing is good for your emotional and physical health.  I showed it to my wife and said...."See!"

You used my research to make a point with your wife! I guess I am in trouble now.  ???

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 01, 2015, 03:24:33 PM
QuoteI especially like the 1957 letter from the V.P. at Penn - he basically said fishing is good for your emotional and physical health.  I showed it to my wife and said...."See!"

You used my research to make a point with your wife! I guess I am in trouble now.  ???

Dan is not alone.

I'll admit to referencing your book on several different occasions that kept me outta the doghouse. Thanks Mike, your great publication has paid for itself many times over, and quite certain it will again and again.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

I especially like the 1957 letter from the V.P. at Penn - he basically said fishing is good for your emotional and physical health.  I showed it to my wife and said...."See!"

You used my research to make a point with your wife! I guess I am in trouble now.  Huh?

Dan is not alone.

I'll admit to referencing your book on several different occasions that kept me outta the doghouse. Thanks Mike, your great publication has paid for itself many times over, and quite certain it will again and again.

Posted on: April 01, 2015, 07:24:33 AM
Posted by: Penn Chronology 

My next book, which covers the same era from a different perspective, is very near the presses and it has a price guide. Fisherman's wives are going to put a price on my head!! :'( :'( :'(

Superhook

Mike,

If the wives are seen with your book and a calculator it could be the collectors posting the reward . :o

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

Mike,

If the wives are seen with your book and a calculator it could be the collectors posting the reward . Shocked

Ray, I think you are right, I think I may have to change my name and move out of the country. I know someone that lives in Brisbane, Australia. I wonder if he has a room for me..... ;D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Superhook on April 04, 2015, 04:49:44 AM
Mike,

If the wives are seen with your book and a calculator it could be the collectors posting the reward . :o

:o  :o  :o  :o

There of course there is also the distinct possibility that some collectors may find that some of their coveted 'investments' are not quite worth what they have got into them.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThere of course there is also the distinct possibility that some collectors may find that some of their coveted 'investments' are not quite worth what they have got into them.

In terms of having a wife discover a fact like this, we will have to turn to the strict regulations of the United States Government and cover it up..... ;D