Chonoligical History of Penn Reels---Book Sale

Started by Penn Chronology, January 26, 2015, 05:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Quotethis just arrived.  mike, thanks a million!!!!!

You are Welcome. Hope you like it. :)

Penn Chronology

QuoteI walk by 11 Mercer St. daily. it's so cool to see all these reel shops and manufacturers in NYC...

Dom,

That's interesting. Do you remember what kind of business is at that address today?

broadway

Mike, I can't remember the business that is currently there but can tell you its one of the nicest buildings and it's called the museum building. Google it when you get a chance... It's one of the finest cast iron buildings you'll ever see. I believe it's 50' wide and the residential units above sold for serious (5 mil-15 mil) each.
Wheb I go by Thursday I'll let Ya know what business is in there, but it's gonna be a real fru fru kinda place I'm sure.
Nice photo boss!
Thanks
Dom

Shark Hunter

Google maps is Amazing! It looks like it had a facelift in 2012, but ever since then, I see on the left door it says visionaire magazine.
Definitely fru fru Dom! :D
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteGoogle maps is Amazing! It looks like it had a facelift in 2012, but ever since then, I see on the left door it says visionaire magazine.
Definitely fru fru Dom! Cheesy

Dom, how come a guy from Kentucky can find a building in our town and we can't? ???

Shark Hunter

Just search Google Maps and put in 11 Mercer Street, NY, NY. You can see the front of the building since 2007 from the Street View. I also checked out the rentals. Way fru fru! :D
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteJust search Google Maps and put in 11 Mercer Street, NY, NY. You can see the front of the building since 2007 from the Street View. I also checked out the rentals. Way fru fru! Cheesy

Found it, Thanks.

I bet money they do not make Hard Rubber molded items there anymore.

broadway

Them Kentucky boys are pretty resourceful.
As you get to know Daron you'll soon find out he does detective work in his spare time ;)
Yeah, not sure why they show it as a rental because those places are sold. No developer would redevelop that building and rent it out any more. Maybe in '07 but not now.
I'll let yas know for sure tomorrow.
Dom

Superhook

[/quote]

Fred,

Not a lot of Anglesea reels are out there. All the reels I have seen have been black. Penn did not list them until 1938 and the early Maroon colour of 33-34 was long gone. Very few reels made after then were in maroon. I would think you have a very unusual find .

Ray

Penn Chronology

Oh yes, a brown Anglesea is no doubt a oddball and rare find. I think that one is a Keeper.

foakes

Thanks for the light on this old reel, Ray & Mike --

Both of you perhaps have no idea what a contribution you have made to the angling world with your Penn book.

Of course, there is much more to a book than just reading it.

Your orderly and interesting account of Penn's first 25 years is more than a narrative on a company and their products.

Even more fascinating to me, is the melding of different information points and observations based on your passionately extensive research.

As an example -- blending the reason why a certain reel was introduced and marketed, the evolution that led up to that reel, the advertisements, specs, variations, usage, success or not, world events, and how it led to other reels -- all paint a picture that we will never tire of learning about.

This may sound corny -- but when I was a kid, I remember many a day spent looking through every picture and description of fishing tackle in the Sears Roebuck Catalog, Herter's, or other outdoor mags.  With five kids in the family, and me being the oldest, I knew there was little money for anything except groceries and necessities.  So when I was able to earn enough for a tackle box, a few bobbers, hooks, sinkers, a cheap rod and reel -- I felt very fortunate.

Your Chronological account of Penn brings my thought back to those early days.

Thank You,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Superhook

Fred,

Mike is the Guru and i'm just the grasshopper.  The Book is the result of years of sustained effort by Mike.  Mike got me my first 1936  9/0 Senator and we worked on collecting the series of first generation Senators . I've learned most of what i know from Mike .  My Ebay buys go via Mike for shipping which allows Mike the opportunity to check any unusual reels and for me to have the reels packed with care and forwarded to OZ .  Must have almost wore his computer out with all the emails i sent for info on listings etc.  There are Penn reel surprises that still appear like your maroon Anglesea and Ted's external drag 9/0 first generation which keeps the interest alive and enjoyable. Thanks to all for a great forum.

Ray

Penn Chronology

OK, I have to admit it, I am having fun here. :)

I am very flattered by Fred. Anyone that can appreciate my work as much as Fred does makes me feel like it was all very worthwhile.

A funny thing the book is doing now is opening  up more questions. When I completed the work, I kind of told myself it will be time to move onto to new directions but the book is creating more questions in that early vintage era of Penn history. So, I am trying to keep up to the new questions for a second edition (hopefully in the not to distant future)

I am also starting a new project in the world of ORCA and their magazine, "The Reel News". My new project is Ocean City. I know :-[, Ocean City is for old fogies, but I am an old fogy. When I was a kid, the man that saw fit to take me fishing with him told me that when I grew up I would throw my Penn reel away and fish with a Ocean City reel. Of course that never happened because Ocean City went out of business because of Penn, but, I still have never allowed those words to leave my memory, so I will try to publish some info about the Ocean City brand.

Bryan Young

I would love to see a historical account for Vom Hofe (the two brothers)  and Pfluger reels (Capitals, Templars,...)  as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jerseymic

Finally got my copy of 'THE BOOK' today, WOW now I can see what all you guys have been ranting and raving about.

Absolutely stunning, more than a book, it is a work of art.

Thank you Mike for producing such an amazing reference.

Can't wait for part 2

Best wishes,

Mike.