Triggerfish sashimi... Baja Style

Started by steelfish, January 26, 2015, 07:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

hey folks, have you tried triggerfish sashimi Baja style?   not as raw as normal sashimi but 3x times better (for my liking)

first go out and ger some big triggers, the bigger the better

take the skin off or get the fillets, whatever is easier for you, I like to take the skin off on the big triggers since they have
a lot of mear on the cheeks

cut small chucks of meat as thin as you can

add lemon juice and a lot of onion in big cuts and let it rest for 1hr
then add a can Del monte jalapenos in vinegar and a can of Carrots in vinegar, add some of the vinegar juice, a touch of oyster sauce

as a final touch put a layer of Avocados and thats it ..

same steps for Scallop sashimi

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

conchydong

We call that ceviche and yes it is very good. The acid in the lime juice "cooks" the fish a bit. Cobia ceviche is my favorite but lots of fish work well. I like how you peeled all of the skin of that trigger. I will have to try doing that with one of our Florida Grey Triggers..

steelfish

Well actually its same like ceviche but with lot less vegetables, on  ceviche you have to almost chop the fish really small.
Its not that hard to peel the skin off on the triggers just cut the skin all around a pull the skin, is some parts its really hard to pull off you will need help from your knife

The Baja Guy

al_n_VB757

You can use a razor blade or a carpet blade. Trace around the trigger. I pull from tail to the head with a pair of pliers or vice grips. I do the same with big cobia.

Bryan Young

Trigger fish jerky is also very good. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jigmaster501

The key with this type of non heat treated processing is pathogen control.

Before you starting skinning the triggers, soak the whole fish in a 50 ppm solution of plain bleach. 1/4 cap (top cap of bleach bottle) per gallon of plain warm water. Soak for 15 minutes and then rinse under running fresh cold water for a few minutes.

Do the same for your avocadoes.

Raw fish can harbor salmonella, listeria, etc and the acid will not provide adequate lethality.

Avocado skin is known to harbor listeria and commercially prepared guacamole is high pressure processed because you can't cook guac and they need a way of killing listeria. This will help eliminate listeria on the skin surface without compromising the quality of the avocado when you cut through the skin.

When making any fish sashimi style, go to www.fda.gov and look up the seafood haccp and view the fish and fishery products hazards and controls guidance document.  Chapter 3 list the vertebrate species related hazards. If your species contains parasites, you must freeze your fish at -4F for 7 days continuously before making sashimi or sushi. Acids and brines don't kill parasites.

Don't worry, triggers don't have parasites.

That does look good I will say... The next time I get triggers, I will have to try that.

CaptDavDavis01

Jig master...  Damn you.   I was about to try this until you chimed in...  Seriously I appreciate your input on food safety.

As a trigger manic, I will be tring this this summer when they show up.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: CaptDavDavis01 on February 08, 2015, 02:00:40 AM

As a trigger manic, I will be tring this this summer when they show up.

You wont regret it..
The Baja Guy

Dominick

I made some the other day out of dorado.  It was pretty good.  I had to fight Wayne (El Pescador) for the dish.   ;) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on September 15, 2015, 05:26:20 PM
I made some the other day out of dorado.  It was pretty good.  I had to fight Wayne (El Pescador) for the dish.   ;)Dominick

I still need to try sashimi outta Dorado, some guys say its 3x better than with any other fish.

my next fish on the list to try on sashimis is Yellowtail amberjack
The Baja Guy

Keta

Quote from: steelfish on September 15, 2015, 05:32:17 PM
Quote from: Dominick on September 15, 2015, 05:26:20 PM
I made some the other day out of dorado.  It was pretty good.  I had to fight Wayne (El Pescador) for the dish.   ;)Dominick

I still need to try sashimi outta Dorado, some guys say its 3x better than with any other fish.

I made some out of halibut last sprig and it was the best I've had.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Lee,

alaskan Halibut is a Delicattesen fish
its good whichever do you want to try it.

few months back I have some outdoor grilled thick steaks of alaskan halibut and I swear they were way better than any cow steak..and dont even start with which one is healthier
The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

Best ceviche EVER is corvina (white sea bass) from Lima Peru. There are street side vendors that do nothing but make the stuff all day. I am one of the weird ones who like it after it has sat and the lime has had a chance to cook it reel well, which means the venders always had "old" ceviche for me.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"