Right Side Bearing Caps, S-Series Newells

Started by codisking, January 28, 2015, 02:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codisking

Hello all,

I'm new here and I'm over joyed to have found such a wealth of information with regard to all sorts of reel repair questions I have had over the years. My latest curiosity is weather or not it is possible to replace the plastic bearing cap on the right side plate (the one that looks like a bullseye) on the S-Series Newells. I have not looked into it myself but was wondering if any of you had. For all I know, that one is molded into the side plate and can't be removed. Any information on the subject would be appreciated. I just don't know why they would have threaded the one on the left side plate so it could be serviced, but not the right.

Thanks,

Chris

alantani

if it's the one i'm thinking of, you just pull the bearing out from the inside. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bluefish69

Yes Alan that is the one. I have never heard of replacing one of these. I would hunt up a "G" or "P" series side plate with a Bearing Cup. You didn't say what number reel you have.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

codisking

Thanks Guys,

I have never heard of replacing one either, that's why I was curious. As far as which model, I have an S235-5, S344-5, S631-4.2, and a C447-5. They all have these plastic bearing caps. I was just a kid in the mid to late '90's and by that time all of the tackle shops were only selling these newer, more plastic, reels. I didn't have many options as far as newell was concerned, but I still love these things.

- Chris

bluefish69

With you name you must be from NJ North to New England. You should be able to get a side plate on EBay. All side plates in a series are the same they just change the numbers but left is left & right is right. If it's a make offer deal offer 1/2 & see what happens. I have over 40 Newell's here at home.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

Those black bearing caps on the handle side do come out and the schematic shows you how to remove them. I would not recommend it though because if you crack it you can't buy a replacement. You could make a replacement with a little dremel work. The reason to remove it is to push a bearing out that may be stuck in the side plate. Fortunately I have always been able to pull bearings from the inside.
Side plates are available on ebay if you mess up.