choice of SHORE set-ups for Snook/SmaLLTarpon in FL/PEACOCKS IN CANALS

Started by MudShark7, January 29, 2015, 06:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MudShark7

I'm thinking of taking a trip to southern Fl to see the family and maybe get a day or 2  of fishing in. I would be buying a 3+ piece rod to match up with (3) possible (older - but in top shape)  reels . I'm wondering which reel would be less trouble-free, with regards to line and possible interceptions of line joints with various reels using 20# braid and a 4-5' of 15-20# leader on 3 possible reels THAT I CURRENTLY OWN
#1) a Penn 4400ss with
#2) a Penn Live Liner 4600L
#3) an older Shimano 3500a Baitrunner

All of the reels are like new, but I'm not sure how braid friendly line-rollers etc are with newer braided lines.
I was also wanting good advice on a 6'6"-7'6" (3+) piece travel rod that would be easy to get on the plane.
Something easy and fun to cast but would not be apt to fail with line guides falling out

I NEED TO PURCHASE A TRAVEL ROD - IF I COULD TAKE A SINGLE PIECE, I WOULD GET A "DAIWA MOJO INSHORE 1 PIECE 7' MH 10-20 LB ROD, BUT IT SOUNDS IMPRACTICAL

I WAS LOOKING AT SEVERAL MULTI-PIECE TRAVEL RODS THAT "CHARKBAIT" CARRIES  http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrods-Travel-Rods.htm
ANY ADVICE BASED ON ANY EXPERIENCE IN ANY OF THESE AREAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

SOMETHING LIKE THE "Okuma Xpress Inshore NTxi-S 703MH Spinning 10-20 lb" @ $99.00 javascript:void(0);

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT WITH TROUBLE TRAVELING WITH ANY OF THIS TACKLE, NOT TO MENTION TERMINAL TACKLE AND TOOLS OR IF ANY OF THESE REELS OR RODS WOULD CLEARLY BE THE WAY TO GO SOME DIRECTION WOULD BE REALLY NICE!
Remember! - You're Unique, Just like Everybody Else!

ZaneG

You could just use straight mono with a shorter 2-3ft heavier mono leader. Then you don't have to worry about any knots going through the guides.

I fished those canals a bunch growing up (born and raised Broward County) always used straight 20# with #50 leader. Fished seawalls, docks, groves never had a problem.

MudShark7

That's a good point, Zane. With the current regulations, does one have to check spooled reels or are they allowed on carry-on luggage?
What were some good cranks for the Peacocks?
Remember! - You're Unique, Just like Everybody Else!