HuliCat - Pillar Point, California (Half Moon Bay)

Started by Bryan Young, January 30, 2015, 03:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

http://www.hulicat.com/

Captain:  Tom Mattusch
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Here's the new boat that replaced the one I worked on for Tom after it burnt to the waterline.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Can you expand on this story a bit Lee?  I've been on the Hulicat 4 or 5 times and don't recall ever hearing this before.

The white one burned or ????
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

The boat above is the Pacific Dream, the Manaki was the one that burnt.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Does anyone a you S.F. Bay Area guys have any recommendations for local charters? Gonna be there in July. Used to live in Fremont,  where I grew up. Best memories: Farellon Island trip from Emeryville(sights); Queen of Hearts from Pillar pt., shallow water rockfish; Monterey bay, fishing and sights. I remember seein' the Hulicat a bunch-a times at the H.M. Bay harbor. Is Captain John's Charter still around? Thanks, Gfish. Also anyone can help me w/ the avatar/picture? Can't get it into the profile thing.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall

Bill Karr

There have been some good salmon scores recently but it's hit or miss depending on the weather. By July, the winds should go down. My favorite for 20 years is the boats out of Berkeley Charter Boats (see website). More important than the boats are the captains. I always go with one of the Gallia family. Eddie, Robert, or Joey. Eddie now has a big catamaran which I don't like-too high off the water, too many people, and rides rough in our waters. Robert is my favorite usually on the El Dorado. They have a pretty honest fish report and always work hard. If you want more info PM me.
Bill
Bill

Maxed Out

Quote from: Keta on May 07, 2015, 05:13:31 AM
The boat above is the Pacific Dream, the Manaki was the one that burnt.

Lee, are you talking about the Pacific Dream in Ilwaco ?? A guy named Tom is the owner and I've slayed countless albacore from the rail of that boat.

I believe it is a 53' Little Hoquim if memory serves me correct.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

spoolin01

Quote from: Gfish on May 24, 2016, 09:29:13 PM
Does anyone a you S.F. Bay Area guys have any recommendations for local charters? Gonna be there in July. Used to live in Fremont,  where I grew up. Best memories: Farellon Island trip from Emeryville(sights); Queen of Hearts from Pillar pt., shallow water rockfish; Monterey bay, fishing and sights. I remember seein' the Hulicat a bunch-a times at the H.M. Bay harbor. Is Captain John's Charter still around? Thanks, Gfish. Also anyone can help me w/ the avatar/picture? Can't get it into the profile thing.

From HMB I've been out with Tom on Hulicat and Bob on Queen of H.  Both are good.  Tom is a great guy, very active politically and socially on fishermen's behalf, and I like to support him when I can.  Not many of the big HMB charters are targeting salmon, since close by it's been pretty spotty, but there are trips now and then.  I've been out of a few other ports over the years, but don't know enough to recommend any particular boats.

alantani

if you are headed this way in august, let me know!  i can put something together for you!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Quote from: alantani on June 09, 2016, 09:15:10 AM
if you are headed this way in august, let me know!  i can put something together for you!

count me in for that trip if there is room...steve

David Hall

If I a, not mistaken our local Salmon season has been cut short this year and closes in July.

Dominick

Quote from: David Hall on June 14, 2016, 12:19:50 AM
If I a, not mistaken our local Salmon season has been cut short this year and closes in July.
David where you are it closes on July 15, 2016.  From Pt. Arena to Pigeon Point it closes October 13, 2016.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.