Meanwhile Charters - Garibaldi, Oregon

Started by Keta, January 30, 2015, 03:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Our own Meanwhile will be chartering out of Garibaldi Oregon starting this season.  That's all I know but I'm sure Randy can fill in the rest.  Randy can fish and I'm sure he will be running a first class operation.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Meanwhile

Thanks for the introduction Lee.  Lee and I have fished together and I learned a great deal from him in Baja and offshore from Oregon.  

I started Meanwhile Charters this year for halibut, albacore tuna and salmon.  I fish my 2007 30' Grady White Marlin with twin 250's.  It can get us to the fish a bit faster than the large charters.  My boat transition started with a Willie drift boat, then to a 22' Northriver Seahawk.  The Seahawk followed me several times to Barkley Sound from Port Alberni, B.C. and Port Hardy B.C.  The Northriver caught many salmon, halibut and a few tuna.  My first tuna was caught on the Northriver.  We were heading from Newport OR for salmon the next day but all the buzz at Port was about the tuna and how close they were.  My friend had caught tuna off the East Coast so at 8pm our plans changed.  Having no tuna gear and all the shops closed except a big box store, we bought weed wacker cord and used that to make a few clones.  It worked and we landed more albacore than we had room on the Northriver.

I went on a friend's invitation for tuna once and he stuffed 37 tuna on his boat.  I needed a larger, more ocean friendly boat.  I used a 2601 Striper for my tuna and halibut habit.  The Striper was named "No Bail" and had a cartoon of a tuna behind bars on the bow.  The Striper served me well but I grew tired of the constant wiring issues.  It was time for another larger boat.

After two tries with surveys and shady boat brokers I found "Meanwhile" in Cocodrie, LA.  She made the trip to Oregon and has been steadily outfitted for the fishing we do here  (Simrad AP, electric downriggers in place of the manual and a 21 rod rocket launcher in place of the Grady 8 rod rack).

Now that I have more time as a retired police lieutenant and later an emergency manager, I started Meanwhile Charters to spread the word about our great albacore fishery.  There is nothing like watching the face of a new tuna fisherman when they have that first tuna bite.  As often as I advise against thumbing the reel, they cannot resist.  The NW salmon fisher in them comes out and they thumb the reel, once.  The first bait caught tuna is another great moment in their fishing history.

I fish from Garibaldi, OR which is a small harbor on Oregon's northern mid-coast.  For a small port they have good facilities.  The docks are well maintained and there is a fish cleaning station.  I waited four years to finally get a slip.  Prior to that I moored out of Ilwaco, WA at the mouth of the Columbia River.  

The gear I use consists of mostly Lamiglass rods with Avet reels for tuna, Shimano Tekota line counter reels for salmon and electric Daiwa 750 for deep water halibut.  For spinning swimbait rods I use Penn 750's with a few Shimanos in the mix.  We often fish to 800' for halibut and the electrics take the pain out o9f bait checks.  I service my own reels having learned that skill on this Web site.  If I hit a mechanical snag I cannot repair than Lee gets to work on my cast off reels.

Garibaldi is excited that we will have live bait available to us this year.  The pens will go in shortly and the marina operator has been working with the bait supplier out of Ilwaco, WA to provide anchovy.  I wish them the best and I know they will get my business.

If you are passing through Oregon give me a call and see what is happening in the area.  If you want a seat, all the more fun.  

You are welcome to fish your own gear, all I ask is to discuss it with me to insure it fits the fishing style.  If four people are in a party, I fish how you wish to catch fish.  I have some B.C. knuckle buster gear if you like that for salmon.  It gets exciting when the Chinook runs at the boat with a 1:1 reel.  Otherwise, I provide all gear.

Randy Kane
www.meanwhilecharters.com. links to my Facebook page and contact information are on the site.  Do me a favor and "Like" my FB page.

Thanks to Alan Tani for this space and the invaluable information on this site.

Photo of Meanwhile
https://www.dropbox.com/s/459dv7ibsud75pe/2015-02-07%2013.48.58.png?dl=0

Business Card for contact info

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8k17n66zkety4v/Meanwhile%20Charters%20biz%20card%20mockup%20jt2.png?dl=0

BonitaBch

Thanks Randy, and sounds good.  If I am ever out that way, I will look you up! 8)
Bonita Beach, FL

Meanwhile

We got out for an exploratory albacore trip June 22.  We only found 9 willing albacore but the water was so nice it was hard to complain.  Most of our fish came on swimbaits cast after we saw a small pod of jumpers.  We started off with a triple, two swimbaits hooked uo and as I was clearing troll gear it was hit almost at the boat.  Yarded it over the gunnel for Meanwhile's first tuna of 2015.  We never got a troll fish without first seeing jumpers.  After noon the jumpers stayed down, never saw another fish for 6 hours.  All the fish were caught on the line between blue clear water and green water.  The troll gear used were a mixture of cedar plugs, purple clones, with a couple lighter green clones.

30 knots on a flat ocean.

https://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/3B5nDxpFPceSP1s?

Keta

I don't know what happened to Randy's photos so I hijacked some from the trip from another source.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Meanwhile

Can anyone see the photos above Keta's?

What is so frustrating is I can see them on my screen. 

Bryan Young

Randy, it's associated with your drop box account.  Unless we are all invited to your drop box account, we will not be able to see it.  You may want to use PhotoBucket, Picassa, and other photo host provider.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BonitaBch

That looks like some good eating right there ...
Bonita Beach, FL

Meanwhile

Bottom Fishing

About the time I announced starting to do bottom fishing trips, the weather turned ugly.  It has been one storm after another.  The swells today are at 27'.  Wow.

I'm still wanting to hit some calm, cold weather days.  There are always some blue bird days in January and February, right?

Come on flat ocean!

Meanwhile

The albacore tuna have shown up along the Oregon coast.  I have some days open in August and September. 

I can be contacted via cell at 503-410-0289.  If I'm out in the field or on the water please leave a message.  Text is best for me.  I can often return a text many miles offshore. 

I run from Garibaldi, OR.  I'm using the same boat, a 30' Grady White Marlin.  The rods are a mixture of makes, but I tend to favor some Lamiglas models.  I'm not committed to any guide program so I can use the make I like.  The reels are mostly Avet, with a few test Accurate reels.  I carry a few 12 weight fly rod & reels if you want to try albacore on the fly.  You are welcome to use your own rod & reel.

I also do bottom fishing trips, halibut and salmon.  My favorite trip is a tuna run.  That is where I like to focus.

My web page is at www.meanwhilecharters.com,  Facebook page is at
www.facebook.com/meanwhilecharters

I hope you all have a great summer and fall.

Randy Kane
Meanwhile Charters LLC
Garibaldi, OR

mikeysm

What's happening from October throught December.

Mike

Meanwhile

Quote from: mikeysm on August 25, 2018, 01:55:24 PM
What's happening from October throught December.

Mike

I've caught albacore on Halloween, so I leave my boat in the slip until the winter winds blow.  Weather permitting I also will have seats available for bottom fish and salmon.  Having said that, I don't guide in the rivers so the steelhead are safe from me.  I can fish in the jaws of the Tillamook Bay, but I don't try to fish in the bay itself, it is combat fishing and not my thing.  I fish in the ocean so I can relax with my customers and not put up with boats 6' off my beam. 

Right now the tuna are still offshore about 40-50 nm .  As Keta said elsewhere, the 40+ boats fishing in the Oregon Tuna Classic had a very hard time.  Some fantastic captains were skunked.  Last Monday we put 18 albacore on ice but we had to start toward home due to CG regulations and the 12 hour limit for captains.  If only the tuna were on the bite at 9 AM and not 3:30 PM.  We could have filled the boat (about 30 for me).  Every day is different.  I don't schedule set times as some days I want to start late and get tht afternoon/evening bite. 

Let me know if you will be in the area.  Later in the year the weather dictates more non-fishing days, so if you have several days I can pencil that in and figure out the best day.  I try not to do back to back albacore trips but if the weather dictates, I must fish in the fall.  I can rest over winter.

If you call me be sure to tell me you are on Alan's site, automatic 15% off for tuna trips.

Randy Kane
503-410-0289

whalebreath

Only 6 hrs 41 mins from Vancouver BC......

Meanwhile

Due to some neck & back issues Capt. Kevin Teasdale has been running tuna trips Sun - Tue when the weather is good.  He is a great captain and friend. 

He ran a trip yesterday with 5 clients, 2 of which brought fly gear.  They returned with 52 albacore and told me the sharks were a pain.  They caught several on the fly so imagine how hot that bite was.

The weather is becoming more of a factor now.  We had to cancel todays trip.  Hopefully next Mon & Tues. fish.

I'm glad I don't have 10 tuna to fillet, but the clients ate set for the winter.

Randy

Keta

Mark Twain