Abu UC56 11963A, 5600 Ultra Cast

Started by Prefessa, February 01, 2015, 04:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefessa

Guys:

The Reel says 4 stainless bearings but for the life of me I can't figure out where # 4 is on the schematic. The reel has bushings in the level wind. So that would make 3 including the IAR.

Interesting design, with a fixed spindle and large BB on the outside of the spool.

Hot Rod- Capable? like upgrading the levelwind to 2 BB and adding the BB worm gear. This one is attached via circlip to the frame!

Differrnt gear ratio on this one... 5.1 : 1. It's built with super braid in mind. Don't know why they would discontinue a reel like this.

From what I was told not great in circumstances eager the reel gets doused like the surf. Clearance between the spool and frame us microscopic. So even a film of water slows down free spool.

Never even knew they existed ! Can't anyone tell me more??

foakes

Hi Prefessa --

Long ago -- I had given up on the notion that ABU models are accurate to descriptions and schematics.

There are thousands of variations -- and one constant is that they all work basically the same.

My guess on your UC5600 would be the same as yours -- 2 spool bearings, 1 ARB -- then?

In one of my old shop manuals -- it shows three schematics of this reel with only the 3 bearings.

However, in other similar models -- there is a bearing on the level wind worm gear.

Could be marketing getting a little ahead of the engineering department.

These, like most ABUs are good reels.

This model seems to have been discontinued around 14-15 years ago?

On the UC series, the bearings ar very prone to rusting due to their exposure to openings from the exterior elements -- even in freshwater. 

Post some pics if you find that other bearing.

The shop manual I looked at was a 1997-1999 compilation I put together.

On most ABU levelwinds -- a bearing can be adapted to take the place of the worm gear bushing, if desired.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Unutt

Many times there is a bearing in the brake plate to support the pinion.  I have not checked on this reel, but it is a common thing on abu's.
So many reels, so little time.

mhc

Hi Prefessa
I checked my UC 4600 and it has the two spool bearings supporting the spool and a third bearing supporting the fixed spool shaft under the cast control cap on the handle side plate (part 5142 13472 on a UC 6500 schematic I found). plus the IAR = 4.
I don't know a lot about them either, I recall reading somewhere that they were considered a working man's Morrum, probably because of the over-sized spool bearings mounted outside the spool on the fixed shaft. They are different from the 'ultra cast' models that followed, that have the bearings mounted in the spool with a floating spool shaft.

Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Prefessa

Quote from: foakes on February 01, 2015, 06:12:04 PM
Hi Prefessa --

On the UC series, the bearings ar very prone to rusting due to their exposure to openings from the exterior elements -- even in freshwater. 

Post some pics if you find that other bearing.

The shop manual I looked at was a 1997-1999 compilation I put together.

On most ABU levelwinds -- a bearing can be adapted to take the place of the worm gear bushing, if

Hi Fred:

It seems prudent then to Remove one of the bearing shields, flush then fill with Corrosion X, then Replace the shield. Corrosion X is supposed to bond with metals to prevent corrosion.

Although Corrsion X is a 42 Cst Fluid wwhere Yellow Rocket Fuel is a 8 Cst...I dont know if Corrsion X is too heavy??  Your R Your Thoughts... Alan Uses it on the small BB's with no issue.

foakes

Yes, but clean out the bearing before injecting the CorrX.

The CorrX will limit your cast somewhat -- but will protect your bearings much better.

If you are not doing really long casts, or competition -- then the CorrX would be a better choice for protection than either Rocket Fuel or Hot Sauce.

You can experiment to see what works best for your application.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mhc

I misread the schematic last night, the bearing in the handle side plate is part 13472, not 5142 which is the retaining spring that holds the bearing in.
parts 23366 and 23367 are what I call the spool bearings, they sit outside the spool with 23366 supported in the brakeplate and 23367 sitting in the left side of the frame.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.