Andros A series 2 speed reel size reco

Started by mboy72, February 02, 2015, 06:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mboy72

Hi, I have decided to add one of the new Andros A series to my collection.  Selling off an Accurate 665 wide E series 12 speed to fund it.

I already have a new Penn Fathom LD 2 speed in 30 and 40n, Avet LX, HX 5/2, mxl, blah blah blah.

The Andros will most likely be mated to an offshore angler 30-60 live bait rod or a Penn mariner 5'8* 12-30lb standup rod.

I am in South Florida so sailfish, mahi, cobia, kingfish shark etc.

Will be backing with 50-60lb braid and putting a long 200 yard topshot of 40lb mono on  for livelining goggs, blue runner, pilchard etc.

Any thoughts on the 12 vs 16. Have not been able to see either in person.

Thank you.

Normslanding

The 12 is like a narrower Avet LX. The 16 is a true 16 size reel. not a wider 12. The 12 pulls 27lb. at strike and 34 full. The 16 pulls 34lb. at strike and 48 full. That is the same drag as a Makaira 16 but the Andros 16 is 25% lighter. Andros reels in general are more a casting reel, not as robust, and do not have the thrust bearing that the Makairas have.
I was lucky enough to use a prototype Andros 12 in Mexico. On one day I managed to catch 14 rooster fish between 25 and 60lbs. on the 12. It was as smooth as glass. The reel next went to San Nicholas Island and fished 250 ft of water for Rock fish. The 2.1:1 gear was great winding fish up and the high was nice winding up without a fish.
If you are into Sailfish there are Special Andros A-12SSE, and A-16SSE specifically to fish them.
I have a A-12SIIa on order as a high speed jig reel for fish like Wahoo. The reel is a great 50/60lb. reel.
Hope this helps,

mboy72

SInce I will be fishing long top shot of 40lb mono, I worry the 12 isn't big enough over the 16, but really need to see in person to see if they match well to the rod(s) i intend to use them with.  Now I am thinking about the makaira, but not sure if I want to spend the extra $$$ :)

Rivverrat

Older thread I know. But thought this may be of some help to some one for a rough idea. This is my A-12 with 300 yards of   80 lb. Toro Tamer hollow, (a thicker diameter line than some others)  with 25'-30' of 60 lb. Big Game spliced into it  

Line capacity is not important for my type of fishing. I like to let my thumb ride on the spool verses the line for those way out there, edge of the planet casts. Easily a 1/4" of spool showing. Easily enough room for another 100 yards with my leader