540-S newell pins

Started by speedwagon2, February 02, 2015, 07:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedwagon2

I have a Newell S-540 5.5.  I am going to build into a 550 with a tiberon frame and spool.  This reel is one S models that has the pins that go thru the left side, the base and the spacers into the right side.  Any ideas as to how I remove the pins with destroying the left side plate and rings?
  Dave Babcock

Newell Nut

The pins are nothing more than long screws. On the handle side you have a threaded sleeve so remove those and if you have one stuck it is going to snap the cross bolt. No problem since you have a Tiburon frame to put in anyway. You may get lucky if they are not rusted in. Put a sleeve back on the screw by a couple threads and tap it with the screw driver handle. This will push the smooth head out far enough to grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it out on the left side. With both side plates removed you will now see on the left side that the long screws go through the bars and base and screw into the opposite side SS ring or there is a tiny nut. Remove the short cross bolts.

If they screw in then you need to take a drill and cut the threads out of the SS ring after removing the cross bolt. This needs to be done in order to install the Tiburon frame screws.

That is it.

Bryan Young

If you have through bolts on the frame, you will need screws to secure the sideplates to the tib frame.  I'm not absolutely sure of the thread pattern.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

speedwagon2

Thanks Dwight and Bryan,
   The frame came with screws; I have not counted them to see if I have everything I need.  Thanks for the idea Dwight.
Dave Babcock

Newell Nut

Make sure you grease the space between the SS rings and the Tib frame to prevent corrosion. Make sure you grease all of the connecting screws really good or they will be stuck forever.