Newell 454 Tiburon Conversion

Started by franky, February 04, 2015, 08:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

Hello all,

I just converted three recent newells.  Of the three, two were just the tiburon frame conversion and everything else is stock (Newell sideplates and spool).  These two went fine.

Then, on the third one, the conversion included a tiburon frame and tiburon spool.  Somehow, after going through everything and reassembling, the tiburon spool seems too wide.  The reel has absolutely no freespool.  Both of the bearing caps have got to be extremely loosened, almost sticking out about 1/8 of an inch and no shims on both of the bearing caps.  :-\  Even then, the freespool is very limited (about 2-3 seconds).  Apparently, despite having the right side bearing cap sticking so way out, the rectangular area at the base of the spool shaft is engaged with the pinion while the eccentric lever is in cast mode.

Therefore, I shimmed the right side bearing cap to move the shaft over to the left side to allow the rectanglular base of the spool shaft to clear the pinion while in cast mode.  Now, the freespool is absolutely dead lock.  Then when I removed the left side bearing cap, I can see the ratchet click gear on the left spool shaft totally and tightly touching the inside of the left sideplate  :-\  And this is happening with the left bearing cap totally off.

When I removed the tiburon spool and compared it to the factory newell 454 spool, there were some differences.  First, the tib spool apparently has two ratchet click gears welded to the spool shaft.  Then when I placed both spools side by side, (to my eye) I could see a noticeble difference of spacing between the rectangular box on the base of the right side shaft to the end of the ratchet click gear.  For some reason, the tib spool has two ratchet click gears welded togeter and the factory newell only has one.  The difference in gaps is the extra click gear that the tib frame has.  I believe if the Tib frame only had one click ratchet gear, the spool would allow for side-to-side play while the right bearing cap is properly positioned.

I kind of concluded that:

1. Not all tib after market spools are all perfectly alike.
2. If the tib frames normally have two ratchet click gears welded together, then the positioning of the welds are a little off (sticking a little too far to the left).

Oh, and I forgot to say, after successfully converting the other two newells, I tried to swap out the spool and the other newells had the same problem with the tib spool being too wide because of the improper gap between the right side rectangular base of the shaft and the end of the left side ratchet click gear.

Anyone else experienced this problem?  Is there some other solution that I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance... :)

franky

If all else fails, I'll just have the person take the spool back and get a replacement spool.

Bryan Young

It's possible that you have a bad spool.  Contact Tiburon or the store you purchased the spool from and I'm sure they will correct it.

I believe the aluminum is heated up to expand the material then the cool stainless steel shaft is inserted and when the spool cools, compresses against the spool shaft making the bond between spool and shaft.  It's possible that the spool shaft may not have been seated all the way to where it was suppose to or may have slipped before full cooling could occur.

Again, I would contact Tiburon directly.  They have great service to resolve these type of issues.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

I have had perfect spools and horrible spools from Tiburon. Contact Rich at Tiburon or the person you bought it from.

franky

Oh yes, thanks for the confirmation.  

Overall, I have had some very good results with the tiburon products in most cases.

I have also had about 3 spools in the past that I had to lightly sand down the shaft just to get it to fit in the pinion.  :-\

I also had a recent 550 tib frame that the spool was scraping the inner frame under load.

Anyway, after 5 hours of dismantleing, reassembling, testing, swapping parts, shimming, measuring, etc... ;D one has to conclude....just replace the part! Thank God for electric screw drivers!  :-*
But I guess thats what us reel guys do!  ;D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 04, 2015, 08:12:57 PM
It's possible that you have a bad spool.  Contact Tiburon or the store you purchased the spool from and I'm sure they will correct it.

I believe the aluminum is heated up to expand the material then the cool stainless steel shaft is inserted and when the spool cools, compresses against the spool shaft making the bond between spool and shaft.  It's possible that the spool shaft may not have been seated all the way to where it was suppose to or may have slipped before full cooling could occur.

Again, I would contact Tiburon directly.  They have great service to resolve these type of issues.

X2
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

franky

Okay folks,

The customer brought me another spool.  It was an aluminum spool made by J. Hara.  This spool went right in and with just a little shimming, it is perfect.  ;)

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D