fishing energy bars

Started by wallacewt, February 05, 2015, 12:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

day0ne

Quote from: Jeri on February 06, 2015, 01:03:47 PM

I would assume that 'Dayone' hails from Florida, as that is the only place where the folks are paranoid about bananas on a boat.

Nope, Texas, where the folks are paranoid about bananas on a boat also.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Jeri

Hi All,

Apologies 'Dayone', it is just that I fished on a boat in Miami a fw years back and he reckoned that all the local skippes were paranoid about bananas!! Thought it might have been confined to Florida coasts. My bad.

Here in namibia, there is a thought that fish don't come to hungry anglers??? - Or it might just mean they are looking for an excuse to eat all the time??

Cheers

Jeri

TomT

It's hard to believe any fisherman is superstitious!! ;) ;D   About 25 years ago I moved from central CA (Clovis) to nor cal (Fort Bragg) and bought a 20' boat for salmon fishing.  My Dad's nickname from CB radio days was TomCat--so I named the boat after him and painted a black cat beside the name.  EVERY fisherman told me that I would NEVER, EVER catch a fish with a black cat on board. ??? :D  Also I get leg cramps and am told to eat bananas, so I always had bananas on board.  Again I was told I was NEVER going to catch a fish!!  My boat almost always caught salmon and every year, my boat would bring in more than its share of 20# to 40#+ salmon.  I wondered where this rumor came from.  Man has been fishing for thousands of years.  I did a search on my computer--I believe this was before google and was called "Ask Jeeves".  At any rate what I read at that time is the first recorded history of bananas being bad luck on a fishing boat started after WW11.  Jeeves said it started in the Hawaiian Islands by a couple of fishing captains who did not like the bananas on board.  The article said their reason for no bananas was not "poor luck" with fishing, but was sloppy fishermen who would drop the banana peels on the deck and deck hands and other fishermen would trip and fall on the peels.  They tried to "outlaw" the bananas on board and that did no good.  So then, they said that bananas were "bad luck" on fishing boats and this rumor took off and then other fishermen brought pressure on the banana eaters.

Don't know how true this story is, but as someone who is not superstitious (don't step on cracks or go to the 13th floor  ;) ;)),  It sort of makes sense to me.  Any one know of earlier fishing, banana karma for bad luck???
TomT

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Florida is the only place where I have seen captains get down right nasty with folks over the silly bananas. I take them, eat them and catch the heck out fish. We even hang peelings up over the fish box for fun on our boat.

SacFly

That's a nice looking recipe.  I wonder how they would freeze?  Cut them to size and wrap them in wax paper maybe.  I wouldn't mind having a stash of homemade energy bars in the freezer to grab as I'm running out the door...

wallacewt

hi sacfly
i just asked liz
if you dont put any chocolate on the top
let the slab cool down ,slice,freeze
if you want chocolate on top/freeze
dont let the slab cool down,
put the chocolate on while the slab is warm,
chocolate bonds to slab,slice while warm then freeze
otherwise the choco will crumble