bearings

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

alantani

for good freespool, that is correct.  and welcome!!!!!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marko

Now i want to ask the common issues that i found in cheap spinning reels and Okuma's spinning reels that i own. ???

The bearings (left and right) on the drive gear was stuck and i dont know how to remove it from the drive gear. on the cheap reels- i do shortcut... i use files to reduce the drive gear size a few microns and it works.. but i dont want to do this on my okuma cedros :(

i wonder what fellas here have other than files to remove the drive gear bearings...

thank You! ;D

Bryan Young

Assuming I can get an open box wrench between the bearing and the gear, I place the box wrench under the bearing and use a rubber or wooden mallet (back of my screw driver) and tap the gear out.  Some have been rusted to the shaft of the gear and that is when I had broken the outer race and heated the inner race with a propane torch then used a vise grip to grab onto the inner race and rotated the gear by hand or a strap wrench until it twists off.  If that doesn't work, them my last resort is the dremel with a cutoff wheel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jay2578

Excellent thread this, very helpful!
A suggestion- rather than using a hook to remove shields from bearings, what about a pin vice? I removed my first ever bearing shield today and found a hook very fiddly and started to get cramp in my hand, so I got my pin vice and put a suitable sized sewing needle into it... hey presto!
Shields off makes a big difference for cleaning and oiling, runs easier too.
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

alantani

i'll try it.  i have a pin vise somewhere. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MuskyFishing

Quote from: doncharron on January 11, 2013, 10:36:57 PM
I'm a greenhorn asking a question, so please forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else. Ive been reading a lot of posts on here and have come  to the conclusion that I should pack all the bearings with grease except for the spool bearings. Is this correct? If so, is this the same for all types of fishing reels (freshwater, saltwater, Spinning, Baitcasting)? I specifically have an abu garcia revo sx and revo s for fresh water and the occasional saltwater.

Love this site, alot of good information to absorb.    Thanks!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

ADDING TO HIS QUESTION:
I thought all bearings have to be packed. Now I'm really confused.
What bearings is what?  And HOW do I tell the difference?  I read above:  NOT TO PACK THE SPOOL BEARINGS.  I'm new to reels. And I am going to take apart my reel by trusting the information I get here on this site.  Thank You
A diver sees a man at 20 feet without SCUBA gear and watches him going down. 40...50..60...100...150...200  At 300 feet he catches up with the man, grabs his board and writes: "This is Amazing! How can you dive so far without breathing?" The man quickly takes the board and marker from him and writes: "I'M DROWNING YOU IDIOT!!!"

amoebasurgeon

Hi everyone. I need some well-needed advice and will greatly appreciate your input. I have a few new and "barely used" reels that I, myself, will not use until I take them apart, inspect and properly lubricate the components......especially the bearings. The new reels are Okuma Trio-30S, Okuma Cavalla 20 and a Tica Fishmaster 107B fly reel.The "barely used" reels are Okuma Citrix 237 Ci-Vlx and an Okuma Trio-20. So 2 spinners, 1 baitcast, 1 fly and 1 off-shore. I have read a post in another forum where an angler removed all of the bearing shields in all of his reels and never had a problem with them. I have also read that the shields trap water and debris inside the bearings but also have read that the shields protect the bearings from debris (just debris, no water mentioned). I understand some anglers also run bearings with just one shield. I realize bearings need to be changed out every once and a while but, of course like many, I want to get the most mileage out of them before I do so. I don't want to over-think this but I'm afraid I have. Now it has become a confusing topic for me and would like to know about your personal experience on it. Mr. Tani always runs his spool bearings open and I will follow his lead; everything else is a mystery to me.  

Tightlines667

If the metal shielded bearings have retainer rings, you can remove the covers, pack non spool bearings with grease and replace the shields without damaging them.  If they don't have retainer rings and are metal it is likely you will damage the shield(s) while removing them so you can just pull one shield on one side and pack with grease and place it with the open side facing in.  A light covering of grease on the outside of the shield will help keeping water and debris out as well.  Many people like to remove the shields (both sides) on the spool bearings and lube w/your favorite oil (I.e. TSI321, speed X, corrosion X, hot sauce , etc.) and reinstall the bearings open.  This helps with freespool, allows for easy access to relube, and will allow water to drain/dry out of the bearing(s).  If the reel is for trolling only applications, where freespool is not a concern, packing the bearings with grease and leaving the shields intact, or at least the outter one is preferred.  If you get an Alan Tani bearing packer, you can pack bearings full of grease w/o removing the shields.  Some bearings have rubber seals instead of metal, these typically do a better job of keeping debris and water out and can generally be removed and replaced w/o damaging them.  You may also come accriss bearings that have a Delron or plastic race and integral side shield, which can not be removed.  These bearings can only be opened on one side.  Some guys just leave all of their bearings open...as is typically the case with all of shimano's ARB (ceramic hybrid) bearings, with the idea being the shields can not trap debris/water inside.  Hope that makes sense?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

amoebasurgeon

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 29, 2014, 12:28:44 AM
  Hope that makes sense?

It does. So no harm if stock bearings are unshielded just as long as they are properly lubed, inspected and maintained?

Unutt

As usual, I am late to the party, but I had to comment on the Shimano drive bearing issue.

I fished Shimano Calcutta's for several years.  After awhile, the IAR bearings started sounding like threshing machines.  As I had with other reels, I lubricated the IAR bearings. 

Suffice to say, they never worked right again.  Even with the lightest oil I tried that reduced the noise, the IAR gave up at the most inopportune moment (typically attempting to set the hook on a fish).

In the summertime the problem was infrequent.  In hot weather, it was no issue at all.  In winter time (temps below 40 degrees), it was a constant threat (like 50/50).

Sometime during my Calcutta days, I attended a tackle show here in Dallas, and was able to speak to a Shimano rep about the problem.  He informed me that the IAR bearing was to be run dry, even though it made noise.  I guess I missed that warning in the fine print.

After that, I decided to put the Calcutta's away.  Unfortunately, I owned 9 of them before I realized I would not be able to use them long term.  They still look great on the shelf.  Most of them are still in their original boxes.  Before long they will be 20 years old, and will have passed their 15th anniversary sitting on the shelf.
So many reels, so little time.

johndtuttle

Quote from: amoebasurgeon on July 29, 2014, 12:43:19 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 29, 2014, 12:28:44 AM
  Hope that makes sense?

It does. So no harm if stock bearings are unshielded just as long as they are properly lubed, inspected and maintained?

No harm whatsoever.

Shields generally are fool's gold. You may think they are offering some kind of protection (and they may a little from a little salt) but they are worse than none with a lot of salt. They just deceive you that things are fine behind them, but in reality lots of saltwater is being held behind the shield and insidious destruction is going on (and you can be sure a factory bearing has little or no grease behind that shield).

I don't mind the rubber seals (shields) as they do add the small measure of protection, but are easily popped and the bearing repacked if you find any soggy grease inside. Popping the shields on other bearings is a pita, imo.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Unutt on December 29, 2014, 08:52:02 PM
As usual, I am late to the party, but I had to comment on the Shimano drive bearing issue.

I fished Shimano Calcutta's for several years.  After awhile, the IAR bearings started sounding like threshing machines.  As I had with other reels, I lubricated the IAR bearings. 

Suffice to say, they never worked right again.  Even with the lightest oil I tried that reduced the noise, the IAR gave up at the most inopportune moment (typically attempting to set the hook on a fish).

In the summertime the problem was infrequent.  In hot weather, it was no issue at all.  In winter time (temps below 40 degrees), it was a constant threat (like 50/50).

Sometime during my Calcutta days, I attended a tackle show here in Dallas, and was able to speak to a Shimano rep about the problem.  He informed me that the IAR bearing was to be run dry, even though it made noise.  I guess I missed that warning in the fine print.

After that, I decided to put the Calcutta's away.  Unfortunately, I owned 9 of them before I realized I would not be able to use them long term.  They still look great on the shelf.  Most of them are still in their original boxes.  Before long they will be 20 years old, and will have passed their 15th anniversary sitting on the shelf.

Pretty much once they start making noise they are done as micro pitting has degraded the performance of the needles. The surface of the needles in a one way bearing must be immaculate for ideal function.

I would rather use Corrosion-x and some light grease in there than run them dry at the risk of gumming them up in the cold. A dry one way bearing in a handle is a recipe for rust and a quick trip to the repair center. Fortunately in California and in warmer areas where I fish cold is not an issue for me.

My contacts at Accurate and Penn have always advocated protective lube in one way bearings. Shimano spinners are definitely to be left dry however.

If you replace the one way bearings on your Calcuttas and protect them with lube you should be able to fish them. You can try Cal's cold weather purple grease (which is fine for general protection) cut with a little corrosion-x and be fine I would hope.

Quote from: Unutt on December 29, 2014, 08:52:02 PM

Sounds like my experience with anything marked shimano!! 

lonehawkstation

OK, super N00B question.  I know the spool bearings are the ones I should remove shields, clean, and lube.  Everything else I should grease.  Which ones are the spool bearings?  :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: lonehawkstation on August 15, 2015, 10:11:28 AM
OK, super N00B question.  I know the spool bearings are the ones I should remove shields, clean, and lube.  Everything else I should grease.  Which ones are the spool bearings?  :D

Not to worry, and not a "noob" question at all, more of a "newbie" question and we like those  ;D.

The spool bearings are fitted *inside* the spool. Other bearings are fitted in the side plates themselves. The shaft that the spool rides on does go into the right and left sides, but the shaft does not rotate, other stuff does when the reel is "in gear". During casting the spool rests on the bearings inside it and the other bearing have no affect on casting. They just support stuff under load.