bearings

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie K

Packing the bearings is the easy part.  What I want to know is how do I get the bearings out of both my 4/0 and 9/0 Penn Senators? 

johndtuttle

Quote from: Eddie K on August 28, 2015, 06:37:11 AM
Packing the bearings is the easy part.  What I want to know is how do I get the bearings out of both my 4/0 and 9/0 Penn Senators? 

Look through the Senator tutorials. Sometimes a homemade bearing puller is needed as well as heat/cold and oil cycles.

Eddie K

I tried the homemade bearing tool. No luck.  How do you remove that shield off of the bearing cap?  This bearing cap shield is the hardest part of the job.

alantani

it's a challenge for all of us.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Eddie K

Thank you for letting me know that I am not the only one.  I went back and tried again, only this time, I was successful.  Unfortunately during the removal process, the bearing shields had gotten damaged, its not the end of the world.  I removed the one damaged shield on the bearings, packed them with grease, filled the cups with grease, and placed the bearings open side first into the bearing cups.  Lastly, I put the bearing retainer back in place.

fishhead69

Your a genius Alan. This is a great thread, very informative and very detailed. Excellent information for all reel repairmen and repairwomen. Thumbs up, nice job. You definitely covered all the bases from A to Z.

sdlehr

Haven't read this post in a while, can't take the time right now to re-read it, I hope this wasn't already mentioned. If I don't put this here now I'll forget.

Picked up a 550SS and last night I tore it down and played with the bearings. I was having trouble getting the shield off. I don't have compressed air, I have Dust-off, and directing a sharp jet of air to one side increases the pressure within the bearing and lifts the shield off 180 from where the jet is directed. Worked every time. Kind of discovered it by mistake. Hope this helps someone.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

swill88

Quote from: sdlehr on January 21, 2016, 06:32:46 PM
Haven't read this post in a while, can't take the time right now to re-read it, I hope this wasn't already mentioned. If I don't put this here now I'll forget.

Picked up a 550SS and last night I tore it down and played with the bearings. I was having trouble getting the shield off. I don't have compressed air, I have Dust-off, and directing a sharp jet of air to one side increases the pressure within the bearing and lifts the shield off 180 from where the jet is directed. Worked every time. Kind of discovered it by mistake. Hope this helps someone.

Sid

Nice tip Sid, thanks.

What kind of shield was it?
Did it trash the shield?

Steve

sdlehr

Quote from: swill88 on January 21, 2016, 10:26:52 PM
What kind of shield was it?
Did it trash the shield?

Steve
All three were metal shields held in by a retaining ring. It did nothing but lift the shield up so I could access the insides. They all went back together just fine.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

DavidKa

While servicing my Certate I found that 1 of the main gear bearings is a bit noisy(right) when compared to completely new spare bearing from daiwa(left).
These are pressed shield bearings. At first, I've removed just one seal, soaked and cleaned in white spirit but it became much more noisy than before.
Then I removed the second shield and when dry - it spins fast and freely but when greased it has some r-r-r sound. I've used a ReelX grease-oil mix.

The question is HOW to determine when bearing is went kaput or just needs re-lubrication? What variables should I consider, when supposedly healthy bearing is noisy after thorough cllubricatingicating?

BTW found this device. Any thoughts on how efficient in cleaning shielded bearing would it be?

johndtuttle

Quote from: DavidKa on February 02, 2016, 08:34:15 PM

While servicing my Certate I found that 1 of the main gear bearings is a bit noisy(right) when compared to completely new spare bearing from daiwa(left).
These are pressed shield bearings. At first, I've removed just one seal, soaked and cleaned in white spirit but it became much more noisy than before.
Then I removed the second shield and when dry - it spins fast and freely but when greased it has some r-r-r sound. I've used a ReelX grease-oil mix.

The question is HOW to determine when bearing is went kaput or just needs re-lubrication? What variables should I consider, when supposedly healthy bearing is noisy after thorough cllubricatingicating?

BTW found this device. Any thoughts on how efficient in cleaning shielded bearing would it be?

When is a bearing "kaput" ???

When whatever noise it makes or friction caused is unacceptable to the owner. :D

I have used old Penn Reels with the main bearing completely seized up, and the pinion still turned mostly freely inside with the bearing frozen into a "bushing". The reel was completely fish-able.

The impression I get from the reel repair pros is anything other than completely silent operation is replaced (after all, their customer pays for it...). But reality is a tiny bit of noise probably has little affect and can be tested in use to see if it amounts to much friction or bother. The biggest trouble is they tend to degrade further faster than a healthy bearing...which is likely why the pros replace them right away.

But I am really trying to say that you have to decide for yourself when it is done, there is no hard and fast rule unless you are doing it for someone counting on (and paying for) your work. Basically, whenever you can't stand the bearing anymore in your own reels. Noisy bearings still catch fish until the balls completely disintegrate or get frozen into a bushing.

best

DavidKa

Thanks John.
Can't agree more - everything is subjective :D

BTW I will soon receive that japanese bearing gadget and will update on how efficient it is.
I'm not sure how it will deal with sealed bearings (got some "shooshers" for testing) but I believe that cleaning open bearings and relubing them, will be easier and less messy.

DavidKa

Quick update

Just a few words regarding that gadget - VERY useful for cleaning. Didn't find brake cleaner spray so I've used white spirit+compressed air.
Pretty convenient for lubing sealed bearings... but a lot of grease is going to be wasted.
As I found a good source for HQ bearings with removable shields, probably this little thing is going to eBay...

The bearings are NMB(Minebea) DDL series. Stainless, silent, smooooth. 300-400YEN each before proxy fees and shipping.

Cheers

Shark Hunter

I bought a complete set of bearings for my Big Everol's. They came from the factory in Italy.
There are five different sizes in the 18 and 20/0 two speed.
The only markings on them are S6903Z, S6902Z ect.
Is there any way to tell who made them? These are made anywhere from Hong Kong to Germany.
Since they came from Italy, I'm guessing Germany. Any Help will be appreciated.
They have the press in shields and cost me $100 for the set.

Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 17, 2016, 04:16:45 AM
I bought a complete set of bearings for my Big Everol's. They came from the factory in Italy.
There are five different sizes in the 18 and 20/0 two speed.
The only markings on them are S6903Z, S6902Z ect.
Is there any way to tell who made them? These are made anywhere from Hong Kong to Germany.
Since they came from Italy, I'm guessing Germany. Any Help will be appreciated.
They have the press in shields and cost me $100 for the set.

Hi Daron, if there are no markings on the bearings, they are likely custom made for Everol and with no makers mark it's all a guess. The folks at Everol would know, if you could get them to spill the beans. :D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!