DIY Duel Levelwind?? C4 to C5?

Started by Prefessa, February 06, 2015, 03:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefessa

Just wondering...

Given the attention to bearing quality given by folks here... is it possible to outfit/Modify an existing Abu C4 Worm Gear with the correct size bearing from Boca Bearing in Lieu of buying a new worm for a C5 and throwing it in?? Doesnt appear that the little brass gear is service removable...but if there is a way...u guys would know how...for Sure.

alantani

you should be able to measure the bushings and match something up.  mike's has a kit already put together. 

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/abu-dual-bearing-worm-kit-4000-6000-p-6357.html
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Prefessa

Thanks Alan:

Indeed I can buy the same worm from Pure Fishin. However, just wondering if someone here has figured out how to retrofit the existing worm. I think a BB would need to be added to the other side AFTER removal of the little brass Gear. Not sure if the gear its pressed on, welded, or part of the worm.

Bryan Young

Can I do this to my C3s?  I have a 6500, 5500, and 4600, and I would love to get greater distance out of casting them...but maybe I should watch what I ask for...I also strip 40% of my spool casting my 6500C3 with 20# braid and 2.5 oz lure as it is...I many not have sufficient braid left to fight the fish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 09, 2015, 06:56:05 PM
Can I do this to my C3s?  I have a 6500, 5500, and 4600, and I would love to get greater distance out of casting them...but maybe I should watch what I ask for...I also strip 40% of my spool casting my 6500C3 with 20# braid and 2.5 oz lure as it is...I many not have sufficient braid left to fight the fish.

danm.. same problem here, I have a 6500c3 with 40# braid and everytime I made a long cast with my 13ft rainshadow it leaves me with few line on the spool, good thing we dont have any monster fish from the shore here, my best fish on the shore is a Curvina (local sea bass) of 10#, so as long as I have my drag bit tight Im set.

Bryan, how long are you casting the 2.5oz lure for stripe 40% of your spool on 20# braid?

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

I don't k ow what my distance is because it's always at a pond.  I should try to cast on a football field for some means of measuring distance.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Josh Smith

Quote from: Prefessa on February 06, 2015, 03:41:11 PM
Just wondering...

Given the attention to bearing quality given by folks here... is it possible to outfit/Modify an existing Abu C4 Worm Gear with the correct size bearing from Boca Bearing in Lieu of buying a new worm for a C5 and throwing it in?? Doesnt appear that the little brass gear is service removable...but if there is a way...u guys would know how...for Sure.

Hello,

The C3, C4 and C5 worm gear housings are different.  A housing designed for only plastic bushings is smaller diameter throughout (c3).  The c4 has one end enlarged for a bearing, and the c5 has both ends enlarged.

I did convert a c4 to a c5 once.  It was more than ordering just the bearing; I had to lap out the worm gear housing to accept that bearing.

I mean, you can do it, but it's simply not cost effective.  A $20 (or so) kit will get you all new parts and you can let them wear in together, to boot.

Regards,

Josh

seegran

Had anyone replaced the worm gear bearing with ceramic bearing?

Fishit 2

Does anyone know where to buy a dual levelwind kit for the Abu 2501/2500c?
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Japantackle is the only source I've ever seen. They had them listed as available a couple of days ago. 1500 size discontinued apparently for good.

Fishit 2

I ordered a new bearing kit and a purple Avail spool from JapanTackle last week, they had the single bearing LW, was wondering if anyone made a dual kit for this reel?

Bryan Young

C5 should be dual bearing.  I know they sell those kits on ebay, but you could put it together and order from purefishing if you have the part numbers.

Keta

Remove the entire LW, problem solved.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Fishit 2

Yeah that will solve everything. I rather not cut or remove the levelwind from a $700 reel(that they made only 100 of)