alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial AR-15 Question
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 20, 2018, 10:03:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AR-15 Question  (Read 135914 times)
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 08:02:16 AM »

Putting exhaust gasses into the bolt carrier never looked like a good idea to me.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 08:40:51 AM »

Putting exhaust gasses into the bolt carrier never looked like a good idea to me.

Keta: I'm not familiar enough on the complete function of the AR platform, I have only done some minor work on one AR and when I was in the service I only fired and handled the M1 Garand the M14 and M2 carbine. I own a M 14 civilian model from Springfield Armory that I find very dependable and extremely accurate, but it is a cumbersome rifle,heavy and not as compact as the AR is. The article I make mention to has far more information for those that are high on the AR platform, and I felt it was an unfair comment from me in my previous post based only on my limited experiences and hearsay from other gun owners in the past. I'm still not sold on the AR rifle and probably will never own one, but it's only write for me to be fair in admitting my lack of knowledge of this particular firearm and give others the benefit of reading the article in the American Rifleman.

The gas operated military rifles now and in the past have been proven dependable and highly functional, as I understand it, the early AR was plagued with jamming problems because of the conditions in combat that were causing there malfunction, and the early Colt's were having design issues for sure. The new AR family is a different animal today. 

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
Shark Hunter

The Rogue of the Seven Seas!

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 09:00:27 AM »

I will have to check that article out. Sounds like an interesting read. When I was in the Military, I was never a fan of the AR. We had M-14's. When I first shot one, It felt like a toy. Years later, I developed an interest. They are fun to shoot. An AR Chambered in 308 is a favorite of mine. There are so many upgrades today, it is mind boggling. When maintained and fed quality ammunition, they are accurate and reliable.

Life is Good!
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 09:37:47 AM »

Nice Collection of fire power ;)You are ready for anything. As far as the .223 cal ammunition is concerned, that article addresses that also. Me I'm a fan of the 308 and 300 Win Mag of which I own both cal. in different firearms. Both will dot an eye at 200yards and the 300WM will kick ass at 500yds. with no sweet, and in the rite hands 1000yds or better.

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
LTM

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 06:10:48 AM »

Reel224, please summarize what Kyle had to say. Is the article printed on-line to be viewed? If so, please provide link.

Leo
LTM

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 06:41:22 AM »

Here's the article folks: http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/5/26/the-ar-for-home-defense-one-experts-opinion/

There's not much if any discussion of the mechanical operation of the rifle, more on movement with the rifle and shoot-ability of the rifle vs the pistol. Good info regarding choosing the carbine over the shotgun/pistol for home defense.

Leo
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 06:44:45 AM »

Reel224, please summarize what Kyle had to say. Is the article printed on-line to be viewed? If so, please provide link.

Leo

Leo: go to www.americanrifleman.com and then click menu, you will see the article The AR FOR HOME DEFENSE. The entire article is there to read.

Well I was answering your post at the same time you were answering you question, I hope this is some help for others, my sole purpose was to give another perspective on the AR, as mine was more of a negative one, and I didn't want to give a one sided viewpoint.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 06:48:17 AM by Reel 224 » Logged

Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 07:01:03 AM »

There is something that I would like to point out about the article written on the AR. Two things I have to question on the authors points on home defense. One is the penetration aspect of the .223 round in confined space, the other is the dismissal of the use of a shotgun in close quarters. I would no rule out the use of a hand gun either. I like the idea of a hand gun, however I am well trained with a hand gun.

LTM

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 01:53:33 PM »

There is something that I would like to point out about the article written on the AR. Two things I have to question on the authors points on home defense. One is the penetration aspect of the .223 round in confined space, the other is the dismissal of the use of a shotgun in close quarters. I would no rule out the use of a hand gun either. I like the idea of a hand gun, however I am well trained with a hand gun.
Kyle Lamb speaks briefly on over penetration by stating the use of light weight bullets which have same affect as handgun ammo. In regards to the shotgun in the home. Most shotguns used for home defense will probably fall into the hunting shotgun arena; meaning long barrels. As with any long gun or gun period, weapon retention is critical and more so for the "hunting shotgun" in a cqb (close quarter battle) situation.  Another element of the shotgun in home defense is the "report" (muzzle blast and sound) of the weapon in a small closed environment, such as a room in the house. SWAT teams train with "active" (electronic) hearing protection so they can hear speech and block report and the guy breaching the door with the shotgun typically transitions immediately to side arm and follows the rest of the stack into the premises. For otherwise they would be prone to blown-out ear drums which I understand is VERY painful and would cause most to drop the weapon and cover their ears in discomfort/pain. The shotgun is probably the most effective "perimeter" weapon in trained hands there is, however perimeter's are usually outside.
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 07:35:43 PM »

Good point. Wink

Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 07:16:20 AM »

I know this post started as a AR-15 topic and somehow by me offering a different perspective on my comments about the AR. it morphed into home protection....so I just wanted to make myself clear on home defense as I know it and stated here.

First since it means something to people in regard to credentials. I was a certified firearms instructor for 20yrs a range officer for 15yrs practiced gun smithing for 40yrs+.

Home defense has as many opinions as there are people out there. This is my honest opinion after years of practice with ballistics and the shooting fraternity, both shooting with and studding with some of the worlds beat in the field.

First let me state there is no perfect weapon for home defense. In most cases the use of deadly force in the home arena will be at close range....8' to 15'

Using a pistol or revolver in a .38 cal up to .357mag or a pistol in a .25 cal to .45 ACP is going to be effective at those ranges (In the hands of a well trained individual). This is what I am basing my information on and it is what is intended. Not on someone that knows nothing about self defense with a firearm.

Second a shotgun is also a great defense weapon at that range with 2-3/4" 00Buck standard load Not 3" Mag loads or slug. (It is not necessary) at the ranges I mentioned. This means a Defense stile shot gun,not a Hunting shot gun.

Third Rifle, since we are talking about the AR, that is what I will address. .223 Cal using HP (Hollow Point) ammunition at close range will penetrate threw soft flesh unless it hits bone, at close range. Why do I say this? Because even at low velocity in a rifle cartridge it will not have low enough pressure to expand properly to effectively stop penetration. Keep in mind you need enough gas pressure to function the action of the AR.

All of these weapons have a very loud report and flash in a home shoot situation, so don't discount the effects of any one of them on your hearing and sight.

Those are my points for Home defense. I'm not trying to sell myself to anyone so I have no agenda or business to promote.           

anglingarchitect
Firearms Group

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 07:41:35 AM »

I put together a number of AR's and I have had no problems and like them, 3 - 5.56, 1 6.8SPC I use for deer and hogs, and a 308 that I use for longer ranges. They are all reliable for my purposes and fun to shoot. I have a youth model 870 20 ga, and a 911 for home defense, and a g26, and a SW38 j frame for cc.
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 07:50:30 AM »

I put together a number of AR's and I have had no problems and like them, 3 - 5.56, 1 6.8SPC I use for deer and hogs, and a 308 that I use for longer ranges. They are all reliable for my purposes and fun to shoot. I have a youth model 870 20 ga, and a 911 for home defense, and a g26, and a SW38 j frame for cc.

All good choices for your usage. The rite tools for the rite job. What type of Hogs are you hunting?

Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 10:16:27 AM »

Inside the house I prefer a short barreled 20ga but my eyes do not let me shoot a pistol or revolver as well as I could in the past.  I have the option of grabbing a short barreled 12ga, a AR-15, AR-180 or a 1911 (I can point shoot the 1911 well out to 30') but feel the 20ga is my best option. It's filled with #4 and 0 buck and I've killed deer at 40+ yards and bear at 20' with this gun.   I feel a shotgun is not a good bear killer though
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:24:39 AM by Keta » Logged

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 11:17:32 AM »

Inside the house I prefer a short barreled 20ga but my eyes do not let me shoot a pistol or revolver as well as I could in the past.  I have the option of grabbing a short barreled 12ga, a AR-15, AR-180 or a 1911 (I can point shoot the 1911 well out to 30') but feel the 20ga is my best option. It's filled with #4 and 0 buck and I've killed deer at 40+ yards and bear at 20' with this gun.   I feel a shotgun is not a good bear killer though

Keta: I have been told that a well placed shot is the most important aspect of killing game the second is the Caliber that you use. I personally have killed decent sized Deer at 200+Yds. with my .243 using the same light bullets as I used for Woodchuck hunting, that gun is a tack driver also.

I used to Duck Hunt with a buddy of mine who I grew up with, he loved his Ithaca 10 Gage and I have a 870 Wingmaster 12 Gauge that shoots 3" shells. I would constantly bring down Mallards at 60 to 70 Yards and he would always say "MAN WHAT ARE YOU SHOOTING IN THAT THING" I would just smile and say regular old 12ga #4 shot. He would shake his head and murmurer to himself. I would get a kick out of out shooting that 10ga. Just goes to show it ain't the gun,It's the man behind it. Wink Grin     

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: