Southwestern Parts & Serivce

Started by Bryan Young, February 07, 2015, 11:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Well, I took a brief business trip to Dallas, Texas and our member Fred (foates) recommended that I visit a shop that he has been buying parts from for year. 

Here's the outside view.

From what I remember, they have been in the fishing reel parts and repair business for 40 years, 30 years at this location.  The shop is operated by the owner's son Shane Moore.  A very nice guy but he was busy with customers, so John pictured below.

Here are pictures of their shop.

And they also sell reburbished reels.  They have a rotating inventory, but give them a call, they may have the reel that you may need.

They are a factory service center for Abu Garcia, Daiwa, Shimano, and Penn for the most part.  In fact, they purchase 50% of Abu Garcia and Shimano parts that come into the USA.  If you need parts, they are a great source of parts.

Give them a call and check them out.  A fine group.

Here's a copy of their business card.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Very nice place Bryan, looks good. Did you leave any $ there? ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

very nice!  i've called them before and they've been very helpful!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

They have a decent website with schematics that you can pull up easily.

And they know what they are talking about -- plus shipping is very swift and well packaged

Every store has their strong and weak points.  These guys are one of the ones I use on a regular basis, along with Scotts.  As a small repair guy -- it is always good to have multiple sources. 

And I have learned to never leave an old friend for a new one -- just nice to have two friends...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Unutt

Bryan,

You shoulda hollered.  I am in there all the time.  The gentleman you pictured behind the counter is just as nice as he can be.

Did they mention they do a 2% cash discount?  Might not matter to some, but I spend enough in there that it helps me.  The last time I was in there was January 2.  The owner (Paul) was there on that day.  He is a wealth of reel information and he likes to talk.  I went in to spend $20, and spent closer to $200.  The more he talked, the more I spent.

Did you see the corroded old rod/reel combos sitting beside the door with ridiculously high price tag (like $500 or some such thing)?  Someone found them at the bottom of a lake, and brought them in for Southwestern to display.  Paul thought they made good conversation pieces.
So many reels, so little time.

Dominick

I put them on my list, thanks Bryan.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 07, 2015, 11:56:02 PM
Very nice place Bryan, looks good. Did you leave any $ there? ;D
I did leave money there...but walked away with some parts that I needed.  I needed more parts but I'll definitely it Ely order from them I  the future.  I just couldn't remember all the part numbers that I needed.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: Unutt on February 08, 2015, 03:27:40 AM
Bryan,

You shoulda hollered.  I am in there all the time.  The gentleman you pictured behind the counter is just as nice as he can be.

Did they mention they do a 2% cash discount?  Might not matter to some, but I spend enough in there that it helps me.  The last time I was in there was January 2.  The owner (Paul) was there on that day.  He is a wealth of reel information and he likes to talk.  I went in to spend $20, and spent closer to $200.  The more he talked, the more I spent.

Did you see the corroded old rod/reel combos sitting beside the door with ridiculously high price tag (like $500 or some such thing)?  Someone found them at the bottom of a lake, and brought them in for Southwestern to display.  Paul thought they made good conversation pieces.

It was kind of last minute as I got out of my business meeting a little early so I trekked it down there.  I left them some handle and arms complements of Alan and I left a few drag kits as well.

John is a heck of a guy.  Very knowledgeable, helpful, and a down right nice guy.  I did pay with cash and he said that there is a cash discount...but I was so surprised that I forgot to ask how much discount.  I was so appreciative of the knowledge and service they provided and they knew the part numbers of the parts I needed without looking them up on the schematics.  I know I'll be using them instead of going straight to Pure Fishing and Shimano or Daiwa  is possible.

And no I didn't see the rod by the door.  I didn't have much time as my flight time was coming up so I high tailed to to DFW.

Unutt

I hate I missed you.

Your pix make it look much larger than it is.

I have been buying parts in there since '95.  I don't think it has changed an iota in that time.

They used sell/service trolling motors and parts.  I did not notice last time if the counter was still set up.  

I buy primarily Abu parts (of course).  Their parts are always competitive, and typically cheaper than other sources (ereplacement, MikesReelRepair, DadsOleTackle) so I usually just buzz down and buy them out when I need something.

It was fun seeing something so familiar on this site.

I just noticed, there is a small red car sitting in my private parking place.  That is just not right.

Mike

Unutt

Bryan,

I made a trip to mecca last week (southwestern parts).  I am attaching a picture of what it is supposed to look like.  I took a pic of the seriously ugly reels sitting by the front door, but my camera skills failed me.  I think you can get the gist, though.

Mike

texasbass1

I just found this post and y'all are correct a great place to do business. I drop $ almost every week.

day0ne

What's that pickup doing in my parking place? I don't get there as often as I used to since it is a 25 mi hike (wrong side of town) but I have left a bunch of money there.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Donnyboat

Bryan thanks for that, but i deal with Fred oakes, by the way Fred what about me, that make 3, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

jackpine

Thanks for the thread. Been ordering parts from there for several years. It's nice to see what the shop looks like.