9/0 2.0

Started by Shark Hunter, February 08, 2015, 06:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Since I have no more Dom frames. I have a enough parts around to redo an old classic.
I have had a Gold Accurate Frame 9/0 on my safe for months. It was the model for the famous Dom and Tom frames. It was older with a little Patina. I figured it was time to give it the respect that it Deserves.
The Plates Came from my Man Dom himself. I'm guessing they are from a newer mold, but I really like the plate, It actually says 9/0 and a Marlin with a little more Detail.
Black Pearl Hex gears and a 5 Stack Hex with washers from My Man Lee. Also, his double ss dogs.
A lot of people Here Made this Happen. The spool from Big Tim. The Rings from Larry, aka the reel doc,
The bearings and rod brace from Ted aka Max Doubt, Stainless sleeve and Springs from Bryan, stainless yoke from Dawn, The Handle from Adam and the Custom finish from Sal.
Last, but not least, the 5/0 Grip from the Boss makes it Complete! ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

Well done, Daron --

Great teamwork on everyone's part...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

BMITCH

Nice reel Daron!! Solid work!
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Thanks Bob and Fred. Getting back to basics. With the parts left over.
SS Sleeve, single ss dog. Honing my skills for a major build.
Keta Krank, 5/0 grip, original post bearing model before all the hoopla of frames and such.
This reel is still a very capable contender. ;)
Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Turned out awesome!  These reels are impressive and beautiful.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Shark Hunter

I finally got my hands on one of the so called transition 9/0's. These were from the last run in USA before the L2 was moved to China. There was another thread from garking saying he had one of these, but afraid it was not a made in USA Reel. I went after this one because the plate is a little different. It has "115L" instead of the 9/0.
It looks like it has some L2 features. The non handle bearing, The plates and ss rings, but everything else looks legit including the 8 screw pattern. I'll let you know whats inside. Its NIB, so it should tell the tale if its really USA.
Life is Good!

garking84

Very nice reel.  Have you opened it  and taken a look at the internals.  I would really like to know what you think of the parts inside these transition reels.

Tightlines667

Pretty cool reel you've got there Daron.  That answers a few questions about what a transition reel looks like.  Thats a pretty fancy tailplate.  I supose these guys are actually pretty uncommon given the relatively short production run?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I will get into that one soon. I have a Insert for it.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Finally getting this done. The guts of this reel look Legit. Brass Main Gear and no parts stamped L2.
The drags were bone dry. I Hate to see that. The Grease in the reel was minimal. I don't roll like that either.
I am going to replace everything, just because I have been holding some hot rod parts for a while.

Cut the plate for a pair of Lee's ss dogs .

Black Pearl ss Gears, Stainless Sleeve from Bryan, ss yoke from Dawn, Insert from Adam.

Gear ready to go in, These Inserts are the latest and greatest. Very Powerful! I owe Adam a static test on the Big Boys, My riding mower can't hold back 50 lbs of drag. I'm working on it. ;)

All the Magic put together. Got it on the first try. ;D

Now the pièce de résistance. A Brand New Silver Accurate Frame from My Man Dom.

This reel has the best of everything. All from members here. A Powerhouse in a small package. Capable of crazy drag numbers. The all mighty Keta Krank makes it Complete with a 5/0 Kokelar grip.
I got the frame right on this one Rudy. ;)

Life is Good!

FatTuna

Do you have two screws installed on the dogs?

I really like the transition reel. Good color combo.

I'd like to do some upgrades on my 9/0. Perhaps I should try double dogging it.

I might be borrowing some ideas from this thread. Nice reels.

reelrepair123

daron   fantastic,  great pictures and great tutorial,  the reels and your craftmanship are second to none, truly a master.  enjoy using those beauties, great job. amazing how lots of members get involved ,one big happy family.     harryk

Shark Hunter

Quote from: fatstriper on June 01, 2015, 07:01:24 AM
Do you have two screws installed on the dogs?
Yes Sean,
The two lower Bridge screws are used for the dogs.
Life is Good!

FatTuna

Do you just have them installed like that so you can assemble it or do flip them around. I've never seen that before.

I talked to my parts guy today. He said my 9/0 should be here soon.

Shark Hunter

I just do that to see how much I have to cut for the second dog and engagement with the ratchet.
Life is Good!