OCEAN CITY and Other OLD REELS ...

Started by ez2cdave, February 10, 2015, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: 54bullseye on March 22, 2018, 10:05:40 PM
Mike if I had two OC cradles in new condition any size and one had a 600 badge and the other had an 800 badge I would pick the 800 !!   Lol !!!!    John Taylor

Good information here guys.

And here I was hoping soneone might come forward an offer me an 800 for my 600 ;)

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

54bullseye

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 22, 2018, 11:02:13 PM
Quote from: 54bullseye on March 22, 2018, 10:05:40 PM
Mike if I had two OC cradles in new condition any size and one had a 600 badge and the other had an 800 badge I would pick the 800 !!   Lol !!!!    John Taylor

Good information here guys.

And here I was hoping soneone might come forward an offer me an 800 for my 600 ;)

John

Okay John PM me what you want for it !!   Thanks  John Taylor

Gfish

An older lookin Ocean City "JONES BEACH". Supported in 2 pics. by the common and kinda futuristic looking, late 40's "1600". No anti-reverse and no drag star for the Jones Beach, but its gotta good functioning free-spool and clicker. Also no letters or numbers anywhere on the sideplate.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

A 993 with the green spool (looks like anodized aluminium).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Nice ones Greg.  Trolling with a 160 would be interesting/difficult but both of those will probably still cast well and shore fish the same as always.  I haven't shore fished in recent years but am thinking about taking up dunking just to have an excuse to use the equipment. 
-steve

oc1

Gfish

More. "L B's" 112. Love the handle lock nut unit on these O.C.'s.

Gfish

The 250yd. "St. Lucie". Imina fish this'un. I like that these reels have a standard 3 screw stand for 250yd. sizes and the simi-automatic eccentric is hard to beat

Gfish

A Pflueger CAPITOL No-1985. A, for the most part, well made conventional. Quick take-apart feature with post knobs on one side to hold the head-plate. A tough made eccentric/free-spool system. The pinion has a interesting gear attached to it which meshes with it's twin on the spool. The pinion's large, the main's relatively small for a 2.5:1 ratio. The spool bushing's function great. Needs some kinda lock for the handle nut. The metal parts on this puppy are pretty thick for the most part. The frame is all posts, using 2 heavy duty ones for the stand---not the strongest way to do it. This'un could probably work as a 30lb. reel, but would be better suited to 20-25lb. duty.

Gfish

Quote from: oc1 on June 20, 2018, 08:09:56 PM
This popped up on ORCA today.  The rear post is different.
http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21306
-steve
Thanks "Brah". Interesting info. O.C.'s got names with no numbers on some and numbers with no name on others.
That time a year for me. Extended vacation stay in the SF bay area at the wife's house. Thankfully, I been on 2 "cattle boat" trips with my son, and I have a hide-away corner a the garage and a pile of my brothers reel collection to go through. Escaping "domestic bliss" and loud female chirping(in mandarin) is keeping me sane.

steelfish

Im not a reel collector by any means but found this reel on a flea market, it needs a deep clean-up service and look the antireverse since the handle goes backwards, other than that it looks pretty good, it would be a nice company for the smaller ocean city 1600 baitcaster

The Baja Guy

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

oc1

Careful Alex.  You could be on a dangerous path.  :) :) :)
-steve

pjstevko

Can anyone give me some info on this Ocean City 993 I saw in a antique store....... I thought I read somewhere that Ocean City reels were the precursor to Penn reels, is that true?

Pj

Penn Chronology

QuoteCan anyone give me some info on this Ocean City 993 I saw in a antique store....... I thought I read somewhere that Ocean City reels were the precursor to Penn reels, is that true?

First question. The Ocean City Model 993 carried a Model name of the Hampton Beach. It was introduced in 1942 and stayed in production until 1956. Very popular reel.

Second question. When you say "precursor" to Penn reels you can be sort of correct. Ocean City became known by the Ocean City name in 1922, basically 10 years earlier than Penn. Penn was founded by Otto Henze, who worked for Ocean City in the 1920's. But, technically, the two companies were competitors. So the answer is yes and no......<:O)