OCEAN CITY and Other OLD REELS ...

Started by ez2cdave, February 10, 2015, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Nice reel John, and unusual too.  How does the thumb screw work?

I've been using dry pickling powder from a jewelers supply.  Just scoop some into the tank.  Cheaper than vinegar and easier to handle than muriatic/HCl.  It also has a yellow indicator dye so you can roughly judge the strength of the solution by eye.
-steve

Tightlines667

Quote from: oc1 on January 22, 2017, 09:35:56 AM
Nice reel John, and unusual too.  How does the thumb screw work?

I've been using dry pickling powder from a jewelers supply.  Just scoop some into the tank.  Cheaper than vinegar and easier to handle than muriatic/HCl.  It also has a yellow indicator dye so you can roughly judge the strength of the solution by eye.
-steve

I may have to give that pickling powder thing a try.  I bet it smells alot better then HCL.

I dissambled the headplate again, took a few more pictures of the drag stack and handle cam mechanism, and provided an explaination here.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13553.30

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mo65

I can't believe how well that spool cleaned up...great work John! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

Beautiful job on that reel John. Also, great job explaining the drag control. I will look for one of those in the future.

Tightlines667

I got a package from ORCA member John Elder today.  

An OC inductor in beautiful condition, and a ca.1950 first version D.A.M. 250 spinning reel.  

Super stoked!  

Now to find the box and paperwork for the Inductor.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mo65

Holy Buckets...I love the Inductor! Maybe someday I'll luck into one, great score John! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

Love the Inductor--Model 250. Have had this one in my collection for many years. Cannot seem to part with it.

oc1

Very nice reel.  I particularly enjoyed reading the description of the Alnico magnet cast control.  Alnico magnets have been around since the early 1930's.  Mike, do you happen know an introductory date for the Inductor?  Does this appear to be the first magnetic cast control system?  John, when/if you go inside could you get some dimensions of the magnets for us.  Thanks,
-steve

Robert Janssen

Quote from: oc1 on March 21, 2017, 09:31:59 AM
... know an introductory date for the Inductor?  Does this appear to be the first magnetic cast control system? 

More info for ya. I remember discussing this a few years back.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/331776-ocean-city-255-antique-mag-reel-question/?hl=inductor#entry4731670

oc1

Thank you very much Robert.  Just what I needed.  The Inductor levelwind model looks like an interesting piece of work too.
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, do you happen know an introductory date for the Inductor?

The Inductor--Model 250, pictured in this thread was introduced in 1949.

oc1

It could have been done ten to fifteen years earlier. Wonder what took 'em so long?
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteIt could have been done ten to fifteen years earlier. Wonder what took 'em so long?
-steve

15 years earlier than 1949? In the early 1930's I do not believe they were magging reels. Especially Ocean City, they were busy buying out every company they could at that time.

oc1

I was just saying that Lenz's Law was there, Alnico magnets were there, permanent magnet motors and electromagnetism in general was a hot topic.  The materials and knowledge were just waiting for someone to apply it to a fishing reel.
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteI was just saying that Lenz's Law was there, Alnico magnets were there, permanent magnet motors and electromagnetism in general was a hot topic.  The materials and knowledge were just waiting for someone to apply it to a fishing reel.

I agree, the invention was simply waiting to be invented..................<:O)