OCEAN CITY and Other OLD REELS ...

Started by ez2cdave, February 10, 2015, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Here's proof magging reels goes way back. I always thought it started in the 70's...hmmm...humbled again!  :-\

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere's proof magging reels goes way back. I always thought it started in the 70's...hmmm...humbled again

Great reel. The Inductor was introduced in 1949.

JohnDeereMoxie

I think this Reel is an Ocean City reel, JC Higgins 311.3171 it was also my grandfathers.  From what I gather it's not very valuable but would look cool cleaned up an on an old rod, what do you think?

Penn Chronology

Looks like an Ocean City, Angeleno model. Not much value here. Clean it up and keep it in memory of your grandfather.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 20, 2016, 10:33:00 PM
Looks like an Ocean City, Angeleno model. Not much value here. Clean it up and keep it in memory of your grandfather.

Looks like there may be a few inexpensive reels on eBay to supply parts like another handle, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=higgins&_sop=15&_osacat=1492&_ipg=200&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xhiggins+311.TRS0&_nkw=higgins+311&_sacat=1492

JohnDeereMoxie

fishnewport

Hi, this is my first post on here but figured I would throw in some pictures of this Ocean city 1600. Cant find much info on the freshwater reels they produced. I picked it up from a guy on craigslist for 20 bucks, came seated on a no name 6ft aluminum rod, I may try to refurb the rod as well. The owner of the pole did save the original guides that he broke off how ever many years ago,

Alex

Penn Chronology

QuoteHi, this is my first post on here but figured I would throw in some pictures of this Ocean city 1600. Cant find much info on the freshwater reels they produced. I picked it up from a guy on craigslist for 20 bucks, came seated on a no name 6ft aluminum rod, I may try to refurb the rod as well. The owner of the pole did save the original guides that he broke off how ever many years ago,

Can't help with the rod. The reel was introduced in the Ocean City 1949 catalog. Here is a scan from the catalog:

ez2cdave

Benni3

Just came in,,is this 150yd  rare

Penn Chronology

QuoteJust came in,,is this 150yd  rare

It is not rare. The model is common; but, the fact that it is a Ocean City Schultz Trade reel makes it desirable to the specialty collector.

Benni3

Tightlines667

I just finished restoring a Miesselbach SeaLine#74 w/the unique handle thumb screw drag cam.  Ca. 1931-34.

It is a 300yard quick Take-a-part german silver reel that was only $11 at the time.

Before pics on listing..

http://m.ebay.com/itm/112262929882
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Excellent job John, what a beauty. Enjoy it!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

This is the first time I used a diluted HCL acid soak and run in the sonic clearer on a badly corroded spool where the linen line had fused to the arbor.  I was impressed with the result.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.