basketcase LX

Started by DesertCatRat, February 10, 2015, 07:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertCatRat

Yes, round nut w screw hole for knob is out
Spindle and sleeve are stuck

Maybe if I crimp down on sleeve w vise grips, very hard, I can unscrew it out of handle arm

I'll try that , worse case, I buy new arm
Brian

alantani

no, if it has a slot cut for a screwdriver, then it unscrews.  otherwise it is pressed in and staked on the backside.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

DesertCatRat

So, my parts from avet came today😁
I was missing the most important parts, the preset knob and connecting arm for the ar dog, son of a biscuit

So, immediately called and they ship out in the morning with an "I'm sorry"
I sent the email with my full list, they said the parts I am missing weren't on it, well, whatever they want to say
Set back a few days , not a huge deal,

I will post some updated pics in the morning, coming. Together well, decided to keep stock handle intact
Maybe I can find and aftermarket arm to put my new knob on

Brian

DesertCatRat

So cleaned her up, replaced bearings in drag plate,pinion and mains
Packed all with penn blue and left the spool bearings cleaned and opened with speed x

Treated all interior non contact surfaces as well as all moving parts with a full coat of grease
She should live a long, trouble free life with the basic maintenance of course

I removed ,cleaned with dish soap and water, the cf drag washer
Then gave it the cals love on both sides and replaced, it looked reusable
Brian

DesertCatRat

I left the bellevilles in stock configuration, and she went back together smoth as can be

Some of the missing parts were handle arm thrust washer and handle locking plate ,screws

I was also missing the preset knob, tension spring,teflon washers,  I cleaned and inspected the male and female cam and reused them both as well as the plastic click washer for the preset knob
That assembly also got a fair coat of penn grease

All parts were ordered from avet, with a minor problem, as stated in other threads they were nice to deal with, but online support was not good, as I only received some of my parts
No big deal, after a call back they sent the rest, but having to pay 2 x shipping was not cool

Brian

DesertCatRat

And here she is, with the stock handle which I upgraded to Alan's larger knob

I threw on some old junk line just to test her out,smooth as butter, after new bearings and cleaning
Everything works awesome, about 45 seconds free spool, should be more with full spool braid plus mono

Drags checks out a extremely smooth 15 at strike and a bit high but 26 at full, may have to do some adjusting there at full

So, from a basket case that was gunked  up , the spool wouldn't turn, missing parts,and an obviously neglected and discarded pile of parts, to a genuinely smooth well functioning reel that should perform well for years to come

Not bad for a trade for labor on 3 reels and 50$ in parts
She cleaned up better than I thought and worth the time spent in every way
Other than some minor boat rash, she is tops

So, now, only one thing left to do, spool her up and catch a fish on her!
Brian

thorhammer

nice work. i have a gen 1 LX and still one of my favorites on mahi

DesertCatRat

Thanks fellas for the input

One final thing, I am figuring on 65 or 80 braid to 125 yds of 40 lb mono

If anyone cares to input here, how do you rig up your Lx?
This is single speed 6:1 ratio,  at this ratio would you be apt to use it as surface iron/live bait?

Or yoyo/dropper loop? I'm thinking not for deep drop at this ratio

Possibly I can install the 4.8 gears depending on how I use it

I'm leaning towards throwing iron with it, what do you guys think?

Remember,it was basically free so I can fill a spot in my roster here
Brian