SHIMANO TTS80 - Triton Trolling Series Single Speed 80W

Started by ohfishalee, February 18, 2015, 12:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohfishalee

ohfishalee

ohfishalee

There aren't that many parts to discuss but all washers and spacers seemed to be in good shape. Reel was well greased in the right areas. No signs of excess water intrusion  and not a hint of rust anywhere.

The titanium drag material was as dry as the Sahara which impressed me based on the age of the reels.

Either they weren't used much or they were treated like Royalty.

Will definitely  need the bolts for the rwwl clamp to be replaced and a couple handles from Tom Testa and we're good to go for field testing.

Tightlines667

From what I can gleen from the photos...looks to be in pretty good condition. 

You may want to measure the bearings, pull their shields, clean throughly and test them for roughness.  Then repack 'em with fresh grease.  This way you know what/how many you may want to order/replace when/if you decide to do the CF drag upgrade.  I like to coat all internals with a light coat of Penn, Cal's or shimano grease as well.  If the gears feel rough you may want to consider using some bedding compound to smooth them out a bit.

I am glad to see the reels were in great overall condition, and that they made it to your somewhat remote local in one piece.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ohfishalee

I didn't take any pics of the internals but they got a good coating of Penn grease. I am still trying to figure out how the cooling shield was damaged  but I filed the protruding ridges (shown as the minute shiny area in the pics) and painted with a sharpie marker.

Will measure bearings on reel number 2 when I strip it down.

ohfishalee

The picture of the reel stripped down completely gives me the confidence to state that these reels look like they could be in the a regular lineup on our boat.

We target tuna, wahoo mainly and the marlin that might take a bait intended for these two species would be more than adequately handled on my setup of the following:

300yds of 200lb Tufline Dacron
200yds of 150 - 200lb mono spliced into the Dacron

This is intended to be on a 'meat rod' which isn't very sporting to some but saves time spent re-rigging or hoping that the tackle is up to the task.

I like how the Hawaiian small boat fishermen tangle with similar species, especially tuna to 200lbs on YouTube!

My inspiration to get these reels in action soon!!

Tightlines667

Thanks for sharing.  Notice how the captain waits awhile until slowing down the boat in order to give the fish's buddies a chance to grab a bait.  The low gunnels.are typical of many HI-made boats as well.  This allows for easier landing of those big fish.  The above gunnel.rocket launchers keep.the rod pointed at the fish, and allow more pressure, and a fight from the rod holder.  That first reel looks like its drags were a bit sticky...bouncing rod tip.
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

The second reel was stripped (still forgot to measure!).

However, I want to outline what I believe is a problem as follows:

The bearings are getting stuck on either side of the main shaft at the point where the cross pin (TT0036) is placed either side.

The shaft appears to have no distortion but the bearings get stuck at that point.

Is that normal?

I also tried to remove the bearing shields to no avail, luckily I had two  50lrsa bearings laying around that were identical to the TTS 80W bearings and replaced them both.

Same issue with these bearings hence my deduction that it is the shaft with the problem and not the bearings themselves.

Any ideas/comments from anyone?

Tightlines667

I run into this issue frequently.  Sometimes I think it is the new chineese made bearings have a very minor largwr OD, and smaller ID then stock origional bearings, other times it seems to be marring and/or distortion of the spool shaft (esp.  Where the bellevilles ride).  I ususlly just wet sand, or polish the shaft where it passes through the bearings a little bit to get it to fit right.
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

Thanks for that advice.  I read on a different thread that the drag washer can get wet if you are running with them in the gunwale in choppy/rough conditions. We didn't do this but it did get a bit choppy for an hour or so. Never got any pull downs so can't say what the drag might have done (or if it even got wet).

Is this a common problem with the TTS 80w?

The thread I was reading was about one persons experience with the TTS 50w and having stripped the reels down, I can't see how this is possible unless you are underwater for a prolonged period of time.

ohfishalee

After stripping the reel one of the screws for the side plate will not tighten.

Any ideas of filling and retapping a worn side plate thread? I've used a different screw to verify this and it is definitely the threads in the reel body.

Are the threads of the Ti80W screws the same?

Still waiting on Shimano to answer my email (s)! :)

Tightlines667

I believe these metric fine thread, Shimano screws have the same diameter and thread size, not sure about length though.

I'd suggest trying Alan's trick of using a short, thin piece of copper.

In Alan's words...

"copper is quick and easy.  i have used some of the flat copper dog springs from penn.  a sheet of copper from your local hobby store is better.  cut a small strip that is 2/3rds the width of the screw hole, and just as long. then run the screw in and it should hold just fine. good luck!  alan"

If this doesn't work you could try tapping with a slightly larger diameter standard pitch thread.  This is another quick and easy fix, but the screw may not have the full holding power.  Using a bit of loctite may be in order.

The best way of dealing with stripped threads is to buy a helicoil insert Kit. This requires drilling a precise/square hole first, tapping for the insert size (best to pretap, then use a bottoming tap), and then installing the insert with the instalation tool.  The drawback here is that you should have a drill press, and the insert kits are a bit pricy.

Good luck!

*I attached a document containing all of the Helicoil insert specs.
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

Thanks. Looks like a winner.

Anyone have an "in" at Shimano USA?

Trying to get answers to a question about what parts are definitely a direct swap between Tiagra and Triton parts such as screws, camshaft, bearings, drag washers, spacers of all varieties  (shims).

Thanks John for your advice early in this thread and I hope that this thread is valuable to fellow members.

ohfishalee

Found two more that I hope to get by next week if all goes well - these are great reels IMHO.

Wish there was an engineer who could convert to 2 speed and I would love to have these classics modded!

jonnou

I have one 50w and I am sure I found a tutorial on this site that was on a 50w two speeds that had been converted by Cal Sheets. will try to find link. Solid simple reels