MAGNUM 500 - PENN JIGMASTER

Started by DaBigOno, February 21, 2015, 05:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigOno

I know many of you already know what a Penn/Accurate Magnum 500 looks like, and some of you might already have one, or two or a few,
but this is for those who may not have seen inside of one or even heard of it...
this reel has been in retirement for awhile, but I've decided to update/upgrade it with some of the current offerings that are made through the AT team.

i hope you enjoy it.  

this is what we will start with,

a black 500 Accurate/Penn 500 Jigmaster - circa 1993

What makes it a Magnum is its internals.  Let's take a closer look...
Instead of using Jigmaster internals, it uses the gear set and gear sleeve from a 113H 4/0, notice the difference...

on the left is a set of SS 4:1 gears from Black Pearl along with SS gear sleeve from AT for a standard Jigmaster.
on the right is a set of SS 4:1 gears from Black Pearl along with SS gear sleeve from AT used in a Magnum Jigmaster.

also notice the size difference of the spindles for the spools...

on the left is the Accurate spool for the Magnum and on the right is a standard Penn 500 spool

the Magnum also uses the yoke from a 4/0 to accommodate the larger pinion gear.

on the top is a standard Jigmaster Yoke and on the bottom is one from a 4/0

but it does use some of the same internals from a standard Jigmaster, namely the Eccentric, the Jack and the clutch springs.
so, this is the combination that you would need.

a 11-99 Jack and a 12-349 Yoke.

since i'll be updating the reel, this is what i decided to do...

first a set of SS gears from Black Pearl and 7+1 Drag system from Bryan

on the right is what a normal set up would be for a Jigmaster just for comparison.

i'll reuse the Eccentic, and lever and screw

but notice that there is a white nylon washer that will help protect the Accurate side plate from being scratched when using the lever, so be careful in not loosing it.

also to protect the side plate, a couple of small o-rings on the eccentric lever is useful...

also notice that there is a SS plate that goes at the bottom of the handle-side plate.

and a view from outside

I also wanted to upgrade the handle a little, here is the old one...

and this is what i decided to replace it with...

AT 3/0 Handle with a counter-sunk 5/16"hole mated to a SS Keta Krank

and here is a side by side comparision of the handles...

so this is whats going into the re-build

i won't go into the assembly of the reel because its been covered a few times over, so here is the finish product...

any suggestions or critisism is welcomed.   :)

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

steelfish

Awesome.. taking the upgrades to a next level
The Baja Guy

fIsHsTiiCkS

Nice write up! Interesting to note is that it uses the 113h bridge as well, meaning when the SS Double Dog bridge comes out that would be a great addition! Also, my yoke is different then yours, its a jigmaster yoke bored out to fit the 113h pinion. I will have to look at it again! Nice showing that beauty off, now you have to fish it  ;D

Shark Hunter

You can get those yokes from Dawn Jason.
Awesome Job Al! ;D that is a pretty sweet Magnum!! ;)
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Mahalo Al.

I just completed a 99 sized magnum.   Sweet and very strong reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Very nice reel Al, along with some great pictures full of details.
I do have a suggestion and not a criticism, try to use a hand held screwdrivers on those instead of power drives. On the pic before the last, it's showing a hint that the bit from a power drive is hitting the plate.
Thanks for sharing, nice layout of the parts... that's one valuable reel.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

A Black Beauty for sure!  :)

But, what is the function of the SS plate that goes at the bottom of the handle-side plate? I've never seen that before...  ???

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Aiala on February 22, 2015, 02:04:58 PM
A Black Beauty for sure!  :)

But, what is the function of the SS plate that goes at the bottom of the handle-side plate? I've never seen that before...  ???

~A~

Due to the enlarged gears of the 113h, the handle side accuplate hangs over the frame slightly creating an exposed area. The SS plate is there to cover the area and bolts on using the existing screws for the side plate.

Aiala

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on February 22, 2015, 02:12:48 PM
Quote from: Aiala on February 22, 2015, 02:04:58 PM
A Black Beauty for sure!  :)
But, what is the function of the SS plate that goes at the bottom of the handle-side plate? I've never seen that before...  ???
~A~
Due to the enlarged gears of the 113h, the handle side accuplate hangs over the frame slightly creating an exposed area. The SS plate is there to cover the area and bolts on using the existing screws for the side plate.

Aha... I see! Thanks for the explanation. What lb-test line would a reel like this utilize? It must have a huge drag capacity. :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Ron Jones

With SS gears and an upgraded drag this reel would have more drag than anyone needs or even wants. Because of the smaller diameter spool, disks with the same pressure would demonstrate much more drag on the magnum. The same way Alan's 5:1 gears show smaller safe numbers than a Jigmaster. To use these plates with the upgrades, I think you'd need one of the super wide spools to get the capacity you'd want.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

coastal_dan

I have to be honest here...this may be the sexiest reel I've seen :o.  That is even more true by the awesomeness inside!  Thanks for sharing! (I bow down...)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

alantani

Quote from: DaBigOno on February 21, 2015, 05:56:18 AM
I know many of you already know what a Penn/Accurate Magnum 500 looks like, and some of you might already have one, or two or a few,
but this is for those who may not have seen inside of one or even heard of it...
this reel has been in retirement for awhile, but I've decided to update/upgrade it with some of the current offerings that are made through the AT team.

i hope you enjoy it. 

if i haven't sent you a wrench already, send me a pm with your address and i'll send one out to you.  great post.  many thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

day0ne

Wish mine was black (or any color but gold), but, hey, it's still a magnum. Does anybody have one of the Squidder Magnums, with the Jigmaster internals?
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter