MAGNUM 500 - PENN JIGMASTER

Started by DaBigOno, February 21, 2015, 05:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

I hope you are recovered and back in the game now.  Take care.

Shark Hunter

Glad everything is Ok now Al.
Good to see you,
Daron
Life is Good!

David Hall

It never ends, after searching and searching I found a nice 99 size magnum spool, actually Randy found it for me.  Then I found a really clean jiggly with perfect 99 frame and clamp.  All the usual upgraded internals.
New set of accurate gears NOS from Dom, DD bridge from AC, the chiefs SS sleeve, Adams insert, Adams counter balanced handle, Adams Star, Ted's shift lever and Lou's knob.  Hope I didn't leave anyone out?  Oops I did, Toms knurled bearing cup! None of this would have been possible without these incredible parts provided by the Ohana. And finally it is finished.

Swami805

Beautiful reel, red and black is a great combination.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

vilters

now that's a Purdy reel!!! lou's knobs are artwork.

David Hall

They really do raise the bar don't they.  We are so lucky here to have all these creative talented people dedicated to improving these old reels.  I'm hoping this one becomes my go to reel for all fishing in the Monterey Bay.  Salmon, rockfish, tuna.

Rothmar2

Beauty and power all wrapped up in small package, awesome!

Maxed Out

Sweet Jesus......you mean there's a 113h in that little reel ??

That's like putting a big block motor in a golf cart.....amazing !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

Ted you have been inside these reels more than I have,  it does indeed have a 113h inside, but not an ordinary 113h, it's the latest greatest version of Sals tank!  No mere mortal 113h can compare.  I don't know what kind of drag numbers I'm going to get with Adams Insert.  I will have to wait until I load it full of 80lb braid and give it a test I expect it will come in somewhere around 50# max maybe a bit more but I plan to run it at 2-12lbs for most of my local fishing. 15-20 when I take it to Mexico.

Yogi_fish808

Beautiful little tank Dave! These reels were way ahead of their time, pre-dated braid being widely used right? I don't think anyone could make me part ways with my modded 99 magnum. I'd guess if Adam's insert tested 50lbs on a tall 113H spool it would be an even higher number on a shorter jigmaster spool. After putting all the aftermarket goodies there isn't really an off the shelf reel that comes close to a reel that's what, 20 years old?

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I cleared this post with Dave Hall in advance so please don't think that I am hijacking this thread.  I have a pair of red Jigmaster 500 Magnums that I would like to sell.  

The reel with the Accurate power handle is a 9.  It would be a 10 were it not for a few very small marks on the edge of the left side plate and a ding where the eccentric lever knob hits the top of the right side plate in the "in gear" position.  I will install a sleeve on the eccentric lever knob to prevent any damage in the future.  The graphics on the frame have been removed (and yes, I know that the frame is backwards).

The one with the Pro Gear power handle and Pro Gear eccentric lever is an 8 with some heavy scratches on the top of the left side plate and a scrape on the edge of the right side plate, which you can see just in front of the eccentric lever in the photo below.  The graphics on the left side plate and the frame have been removed, and the original owner scratched his name onto the bottom of the foot.

Both reels have matching red Accurate spools and Accurate stainless 4:1 113H gears.  You can subtract $35 from the following prices if I can keep the gears and give you stock 3.25:1 Penn gears in their place (but I am not going to install them because I am mechanically challenged).  The 9 is $335 and the 8 is $275, or take them both for $550 (or $480 with the Penn gears instead of the Accurates).  Shipping to anywhere in the USA including Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, etc., would be $12 for Priority Mail with tracking for one or both, or less than that if you are in or near California.  The Accurate reel bags are included.

I also have a black Squidder 140 Magnum with a very rare set of Accurate stainless 5:1 gears for sale.

If you might be interested, you can PM me or email to rfpauly@aol.com or text or call at 805.748.9202.  If you are OK with these prices, I would be happy to take a set of good close up photos for your review.

Thanks,

Randy

Yogi_fish808

I'm still keeping hopes up one day the Magnum Superjig will happen! Compact reel that can fish 50-60lb mono but with the power of a 113h.....game changer!

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on November 06, 2017, 11:55:55 AM
I'm still keeping hopes up one day the Magnum Superjig will happen! Compact reel that can fish 50-60lb mono but with the power of a 113h.....game changer!

It will happen Kyle! ;D
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

David Hall

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on November 06, 2017, 01:58:20 PM
Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on November 06, 2017, 11:55:55 AM

It will happen Kyle! ;D

Isn't it a super Squidder ?

steelfish

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on November 06, 2017, 01:58:20 PM
It will happen Kyle! ;D

when this guy says something like that, we better keep watching him closely
The Baja Guy