New Yamaha Marine Grease

Started by Bill Benrath, February 24, 2015, 05:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Benrath

Well, the new lighter colored Yamaha grease has been out a couple of years. Anyone have and thoughts or opinions on it.  I had forgotten that they changed manufactures and bought a couple of tubes and was surprised at the color, then I remembered. Anyway what's the consensus on the new grease?

Alto Mare

Sorry I can't help, I only use Penn Blue in conventional.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I'm liking it really well. I have only had it for about a season now though.

Bryan Young

Have been using it since the switchover a couple of years ago.  So far, no complaints, and have been working well in reels that has been serviced.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Works very well for myself and clients.

Absolutely no criticisms.

Cheap, stays on the parts applied, cleans off well when re-servicing.

Protects insides of sideplates, metal surfaces inside, and under rings very well.

Good for any screws when reassembling.

Can be mixed with TSI 321 or 301 as needed -- for a custom viscosity mix for certain applications. 

Use mine with a brush and a tub -- and in my needle grease gun applicator.

I am sure Penn Blue works just as well -- but I can buy the Yamaha 14 ounce locally over the counter -- from a Marine Service facility -- and they send me clients for reel service/repair.

There are two different Yamaha Greases that are similar -- make sure you get the "Marine" grade.  It it resistant to Salt Water.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 24, 2015, 11:30:02 AM
Sorry I can't help, I only use Penn Blue in conventional.
Sal

Does it come in bulk?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

I buy (6) 14 oz tubes at a time -- lasts me about 9 months at a steady servicing schedule.

Last year, I believer I paid about $10 - $11 a tube -- there were places where it was available on Amazon and others for around $8.95, or so.

But if available locally -- that is always nice.

It is actually a marine vessel lower unit grease -- so it is probably available in bulk -- but for me the convenience of having it fresh and stored with no mess is better.

When Yamaha finds out we are using it for reels -- you will probably be able to get a 2 ounce tube for around $18.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluefish69

Penn Grease comes in 16oz Jars or Tubs. Yamaha Grease comes in 14oz Tubes for grease Guns. When my Penn Jar is MT I will refill it with Yamaha Grease.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Bill, I just remembered that a little while back and did some tests on Yamaha and two other types of grease. Not really the kind of test you would get from a lab, but it might still be of some help.
Enjoy it!

Sal

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6615.msg56235#msg56235
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill Benrath

Awesome, thanks for all the input.  I guess I'll try the Yamaha since I've purchased it already; I'll probably get some of the Penn grease next time I order something and make the minimum shipping.

Thanks Again,

Bill

UKChris

Weird thing is the Yamaha Marine I got in the UK last year was brown so I bought some Lucas Marine 'cos it was blue. Both are suitable for marine outboards so I guess they'll do the job just fine.

Prior to finding this site, I used Castrol LM grease (for car wheel bearings) as I had a 1lb tin of it and it seemed to work OK though I did service my reels regularly.

handi2

I buy the Yamaha Outboard Grease buy the case of 6 tubes. Its the new color as you described. It works great on most any reel. For the Penn SS and Z series reels it can be used full strength without slowing the reel at all.

I use it on all conventional reels and thin it with CorrosionX for the small spinners. It's great for greasing the side plates and parts on metal bodied reels b/c it's thinner and you can use your finger to smooth it all around without having a mess.

I still use Evinrude/Johnson Triple Guard grease for screws, inside flanges on metal spools, and anywhere I want the grease to stay put. On spinning reels a bit on top of the pinion bearing before installing the rotor is a good place foe this grease. It's totally waterproof.

My opinion on the Penn blue grease is that it's just too thin for larger conventional reels and other reels. I do use it in some bearings and some reels.

Mostly Yamaha grease and CorrosionX in bearings for me..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL