Penn 160 stumper!!!

Started by Surfwrangler, February 25, 2015, 10:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfwrangler

Ok guys I was given a pretty nice little penn 160. So I broke it down to clean It up and replace the drag washers. I ended up swapping out a main gear I had because turns out the little guy had a steel main gear that had rusted through the slot where the eared drag washers slid inside ( alan is right that old steel run of gears wasn't so great - see pic). Any way I reassemble and the thing spins great and dog engages correctly etc....until I put the spool into the pinion gear and reassemble. Then it feels like its full of rocks and barely turns. I can't figure it out??? I wa at it for hours tearing down and reassembling. Same result every time. When the righ side plate is off the frame it works perfectly, once fully assembled it doesn't really work at all. Any ideas????

Shark Hunter

Could be a number of things. Pinion engagement to the spool, or the pinion is just shot and will only work with the old gear. You need to replace the main and the pinion together. Put the old gear back in and see if it works.
Life is Good!

Keta

The gear on the right came from the factory like that, notice the cut for the ear is at the root of the gear tooth.

Gears should be replaced as a set.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Surfwrangler

Hmmm yeah I guess that could be it. But I tried swapping the other pinion that matched the new gear in and that didnt work either but now I'm not sure what's in there to be honest. I probably did it 8 times today! If the main and pinion weren't meshing nicely wouldn't it feel rough before I engage the spool shaft with the pinion??? Bc it doesn't right now it's nice and smooth??? I will try and swap the ok gear back in there and see if it works I guess.

Keta are you saying that the cut in the old steel gears is ok??? It looked to me like it was rusted through but if you say it's all gravy then I guess I will use it.

Shark Hunter

Some gears came new like this.
Life is Good!

Keta

Do you have a bent spool shaft?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Surfwrangler

Not that I can tell on the Ben spool shaft. The thing worked ok before I took it apart ha!!!

Good to know on the gear with the slat cut in it.

alantani

are you absolutely certain that the gears are the same? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

It might have a worn or bent yoke or jack. Try new ones, they are cheap & will last a long time.     RUDY

Surfwrangler

Swapped out the gear to the old steel one and it works like a charm. Thanks guys y'all are the best.

Aiala

I'm in the 160 Club, too! Here's my latest restoration:

Nothing but new CF washers... what a neat little classic! Probably as old (or older) than I am.   ::)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Surfwrangler

Yep a neat little reel for sure. Nice mid size. I really like the stand on it

George4741

Quote from: Surfwrangler on February 28, 2015, 02:35:38 PM
Swapped out the gear to the old steel one and it works like a charm. Thanks guys y'all are the best.

I had a similar problem when I mixed up the gears between a 350 Leveline and new 155.  Even though they use the same gears, it wasn't smooth turning with the wrong combination.  Moral of the story, don't mix gears.  

I'm glad to see that the 160 is finally getting some attention on this forum.  I like it and the 180 much better than the wider 155.  Who needs that much line, anyway?  I don't have a 160, but I do have one of it's cousins, the drag-less 165:  

viurem lliures o morirem