alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial SS Newell Sleeves
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 19, 2018, 03:57:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SS Newell Sleeves  (Read 39999 times)
mikeysm

« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »

Check Toms store for the sleeve.
Cortez_Conversions
Webmaster

« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2016, 04:20:12 PM »

Are the ss gear sleeves still available for the 200-300 G-series?

If so, is there a modified version that will work in the older P-series?

The easiest thing to do would be to replace the gears with a newer model.
Barring that, Newell Nut mentioned cutting a delrin spacer to replace the under gear washer. You will have to replace the dog(s) as well to the newer style.
I have them available, but not listed on the web site, so just holler if you want them.
Tom

Visit: cortezconversions.com
fishmeluck

Fish on! Anglers Bible, Ichthyes 24:7

« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2017, 02:21:46 PM »

I've got the Cortez SS Sleeve and Bryan Young's drag upgrade in my 338 and the Cortez SS Sleeve in my 533. The 338 hasn't been fished yet, but the 533 has been fished yo-yo and dropper loop several times, got a few yellows, and the reel feels great.

I've been thinking thinking about upgrading the drag in the 533 next, mainly to make it easier to set the drag and get smoother drag, and maybe upgrading the drags in my 220, 229, and 332 as well, because well, you can never have too much drag, right?. And I was wondering, do the Newell brass gear sleeves actually have the same problem as the Penns, that is, rounding off the brass gear sleeve at higher drag settings? Or, is the sleeve upgrade mainly for corrosion resistance? [The Newell sleeve design is a little different than the Penn, and I never really thought about that when upgrading the 338 and 533 gear sleeves. I just wanted them! Smiley]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 02:28:52 PM by fishmeluck » Logged

Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Newell Nut
Firearms Group

« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2017, 02:54:21 PM »

The Newell OEM gear sleeve is hardened bronze and no issues really. The SS sleeves were made to give us a 10 tooth capability in all the newells (early versions had Cool and the best part is Tom's machining is very sweet and better than factory originals.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: