Newell Spool

Started by TyeeJim, November 19, 2010, 12:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyeeJim

If I purchase a Newell Aluminum spool to fit my Jig Master 500 will it improve the casting ability of my reel.  It not, is there any other reason to purchase one.

Thanks

akfish

If you currently have a steel or chromed brass spool on your Jigmaster, the aluminum spool will help. If you currently have a Penn aluminum spool, I doubt you'll see any difference.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

franky

Quote from: TyeeJim on November 19, 2010, 12:45:06 AM
If I purchase a Newell Aluminum spool to fit my Jig Master 500 will it improve the casting ability of my reel.  Thanks

Hello tyeejim,

Some of the people here in Hawaii like the penn metal or chrome plated brass spool for greater line capacity.  The aluminum spools tend to have less of a line capacity.

On the other hand, when it comes to castibility, I believe the lighter spool (aluminum) will allow you to achieve a higher RPM faster then a heavier spool (penn chrome plated brass).  From what I understand, from a casters perspective, you ideally want to get your spool to attain a high RPM right from the get go.  That is why the newell graphite spools are so effective in attaining great casting distances....but you burn your thumb with the graphite spools.  :o Given this train of thought, the aluminum spool might give you a little better castibility than the heavy metal spool.

Hope this helps...

alantani

casting is one of the reasons that the narrow spool 501's are so popular. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!