Wanted : ORIGINAL SCAMPIS

Started by Pldouglas, March 02, 2015, 05:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pldouglas

I'm looking to find original scampis anyone may be interested in selling.  If so, please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul

SoCalAngler

The original scampi's are not made any more I don't think but there is a company called Kalin's that makes the twintail scampi type plastics. Do a internet search for Kalin's scampi lures and you will find several people sell them. I have seen the Kalin's and they look very close in quality and colors.

LTM

Any luck? How many? What color(s)? What size(s)? etc.

Leo

Normslanding

What ones (originals) are you looking for? Also what will you do with them?

Pldouglas

I use them for calico bass.  I still like the orignal Scampi the best.  They're made of such a solid plastic - great action and very durable.  The haven't been made for a couple decades I think so they're getting hard to find.  I'd be interested in just about any colors if someone has some, but my favorites are root beer, smoke, and smoke sparkle for sure.

jig-guy

I pour my own :). I purchased molds at lurecraft.com. It is time consuming to do this but I enjoy making my own jigs and lures. I began making my own lures and jigs back in 1993 because I could not get what I wanted, most folks went out of business :(. You can purchase harder plastic materials + add hardener if you want too.
The colors listed above are not hard to make if you have the right materials from the suppliers.
Any questions just ask and I will respond.
jig-guy / Bill

Rancanfish

I agree jig-guy.  I was shown how by the owner of Fatbaits.  I still have a Shimano box stuffed of the originals he gave me when he was quitting.  I won't use them,  so I copied them.

Smoke, smoke with sparkle, rootbeer.....easy peasey. (If you have time, lol).

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Normslanding

Do you want the size used with a 1 to 1.5 oz. head or do you want the larger size used with a 3 to 4 oz. head?

Rancanfish

The post is over a month old, and he hasn't checked in for over a week.  maybe he'll see it if he checks in.

Just saying, so you don't think he's ignoring you.

EDIT:  I read back thru the thread and see you asked before, too.  Maybe he'll see it this time.  If he's like me, he's still wanting them.

Normslanding

Thanks, I figured that. I just thought if he truly is into what he is doing I my help him out. I have more than a 100 of the larger size Root beer originals.

Rancanfish

I was a little surprised by his statement saying they were 'tough'.

Are the ones you have softer, or were the originals made stiff?

Pldouglas

Hi again,

I'm looking for the 4-5" size if anyone has some.  I don't really use the larger (6"?) ones.  The originals scampis are pretty durable compared with the ones Kalins puts out nowadays and can handle catching dozens of fish sometimes.

Thanks again,

Paul

Pldouglas

Anyone know if I can take an original plastic bait (scampi) and make a custom mold out of it? I haven't found the same scampi mold yet anywhere online. 

Rancanfish

Absolutely.  Salty dog posted a tutorial a year or so ago about making your own baits, and how to make a mold.

I do it slightly differently.  I glue the bait flat side down in a pan or on foil with an added wall around the bait, deep enough to cover it completely. Glue down a couple baits to enable pouring a couple at a time, once you get your mold pouring down.

I mix up fiberglass resin with hardener, mixing gently to keep the bubbles down.  Pour it slowly over the baits and let it harden thoroughly. Tap the edge lightly to release any bubbles. Don't rush it.  When it's cooled off, gently pull out your baits. Ta da! You have a mold.

Then you have to order liquid plastic, hardener if you want to toughen the baits, and the colors you want.  Metal flake colors.  Start with silver and gold.

Dominick

I have a couple of Salty Dogs jigs.  I sent a couple to Steve-O who thought they were great.  I am willing to donate one for a mold if someone wants to make a mold for one.  These are lead not soft baits.  Here is Salty's tutorial.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6560.0 Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.