Grandad's old fishing rod

Started by txangler81, March 02, 2015, 08:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

I have an old eagle claw powerlite rod that belonged to my Grandad. It is in pretty sad shape all the guides need replaced its dirty and its a two piece that wont come apart. It has a cork grip that is so so and what looks to be an aluminum reel seat. I was thinking about having it redone and putting my 710 greenie on it. Considering sentimental value would any of you redo this rod if it was yours. I also need some quotes on having it redone. oh the top 2" or so has been broke off. Thank you.

Dustin

RowdyW

Sounds like a wall hanger to me. It's not worth refurbishing. Just my opinion especially since part of the tip is missing to.

Bryan Young

Unless you are dead set on fishing it, I would not redo it.  Find an old reel that your granddad used to use, put it on the rod and hang it up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

txangler81

I wish I had the reel that was on it. It was an older zebco spinning reel. Unfortunately it got tossed years ago. May have to see if I can find one like it.

Newell Nut

If you cover the shipping cost I can dress it up for you. I have a bunch of budget guides that I can donate. Just give me a little time since I do have quite few others stacked up. This was an old beat up two piece True Temper about 60 years old. Steve's wife keeps it by the TV and will not let him fish with it.

foakes

Hey Dustin -- if you knew what kind of ZEBCO reel your Grand Dad had -- we might be able to find one for you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Slazmo

How good is it to see everyone pitching in to help Dustin out!!!

You wouldnt see this kind of help from a Aus based forum.

The human spirit is alive and well in the US of A. Well done to those helping out  ;D

txangler81

I fished with it when I was a kid and would love to be able to fish with it again. I just worry about how it would hold up. It is pretty whippy of coarse it has always been that way. Fred I wish I new what reel was on it I just remember it being brownish an saying zebco on it. Its been a long time since I have seen it. If I had to guess age I would have to say late 70s early 80s. probably lower end of the cost scale. I've looked on ebay a few times and haven't really seen anything that jogs my memory. Newell Nut I will definitely keep that in mind. That is a beautiful rod.

newfuturevintage

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 03, 2015, 01:06:02 AM
This was an old beat up two piece True Temper about 60 years old. Steve's wife keeps it by the TV and will not let him fish with it.

[/URL]

Awesome.  I recently got a TT baseball bat boat rod from a craigslist seller.  It's got a very similar handle/ reel seat to that.  I converted it to a spinning rod to have a beater to loan some friends' kids to use for pier crabbing.  It'll become my 'oh well' kayaking rod, I suspect.  Yours is much more attractive. Really nice work, that.

Newell Nut

Here is another grandpa rod I did for a friend here and it is an old TT and the handle had been chopped off. Ray fishes them one and loves the old grandpa rod that went camo. My knife making buddy turned a piece of Brazilian hardwood down to make the new handle.

BMITCH

Dwight, your skills for building are really starting to shine. Nice stuff!!
luck is the residue of design.

Dominick

Hey you guys are terrific.  You are going to make the kid happy.  Count on me for the line.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Dustin --

I will dig out some older Zebco reels tomorrow morning.  See what I have in Browns or tans.

Then I will post some pics.

Have some really nice gold ones from the late 70s, early 80s.  Will look for brown ones though.

If there was any possibility it was a Daiwa -- they made some nice brown reels in the 70s and 80s. Such as the brown 7250s, and others.

If I find something you like, I will get it to you at no charge.

Am I assuming it is a open face spinning reel about the size of a Mitchell 300?

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

That is one thing I have held onto over the years. I still have the same rods and reels I fished as a kid.
Mainly Pflueger and Daiwa Spinners. I have an old Cardinal on a Fenwick Rod hanging in the garage. That was the Cream of the Crop back then! ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

Here you are, Dustin --

Up front just for comparison is a Mitchell 308, 300, and 410.

Zebco did not have much in brown reels -- but Daiwa did.

Some of the reels here are Zebco, Langley, Shakespeare, Pflueger, Olympic, and Mitchell.

If one of them would work -- let me know so I could send it out.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.