Shark from shore - Penn International 50t up to the task?

Started by tristan, March 06, 2015, 10:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tristan

For those that have some experience fishing from shore for mid-sized sharks, say up to 4 or 6 feet, do you think the Penn International 50t is up to the task?

How would you set it up for shore sharkin'?    

Thanks,

Tristan

Newell Nut

It was not long ago that someone posted a nice beach shark caught with a Penn 209.

Shark Hunter

Tristan,
I say the 50T should be up to it. I'd spool it with 60lb Mono.
Just make sure you use a cable or wire leader. Shark Skin is tough and will slice right through that Mono.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 06, 2015, 10:52:43 PM
Tristan,
I say the 50T should be up to it. I'd spool it with 60lb Mono.
Just make sure you use a cable or wire leader. Shark Skin is tough and will slice right through that Mono.

I am setting up a reel for cow tuna and shark fishing. Daron would I need a wire leader for 120lb mono or is that thick enough to hold up for sharks.

Shark Hunter

If its a perfect hookset in the corner of the mouth, you should be good, but if He can get at it with his tail, He will cut you off.
These are some of my smaller rigs. 480lb cable, then a sliding trace of 400lb mono that the weight slides on.

This is my biggest rig. Its a Gama 14/0, with #22 wire. 
All double crimped with 2.2 copper crimps. 6/0 Rosco Swivels and stainless thimbles.

Making Leaders isn't hard and it gets expensive buying premade ones. It takes hours and hours of prep to make sure everything goes right when you need it to.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Man that those hooks are A LOT bigger than Im use to! I would prob do a premade as I rarely ever do that kind of fishing. You should sell your own premades.

Shark Hunter

Big Jaws need Big hooks!
Its just like building a reel, the problem is getting all the parts together.
Crimps, Crimper, Swivels, Cable, Wire, Thimbles, Hooks. And the final ingredient. Time!
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

I use 6'-8' 300 lb mono for my shark rigs, with a steel bite leader about 8" long.  I typically toss the mono after a big shark, as the mono can get pretty chafed.  Haven't had any break-offs or serious wear, it just looks like someone took sandpaper to the leader.  Biggest shark was a 10' tiger shark.

Tightlines667

I have caught big sharks from a boat on a number of different gear styles, and can contest there is a definate advantage to having large, high-capacity 2-speed reels (and a boat), but not sure what would be best from the sand.  The larger senators are certainly up to the task.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Nuvole

Those cunning ones tends to do the roll, fast ahead then chew off the nylon.
A high speed reel with single strand wire on the bait leader will help.

Jeri

Hi Tristan,

We would assume that you are not casdting the bait to the sharks??? Otherwise the 50T will be a handful to get any appreciable distance.

Here we cast to sharks in the 5-8' range, and generally go no bigger than 30 (Shimano) or 50 (Diawa) series reels. Braid as backing, then 40lb nylon ending in a 1.00mm casting leader and 3 ft of 135lb wire. But then we are casting all this with 14' rods.

Otherwise you might find a lot of different reels that will work, you just need capacity to stop the first run, which in our case is generally no more than 400 yards - then they turn, and the fight is on!

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

tristan

Jeri, I was thinking of using a kayak to take the bait offshore.

The specs I've seen rate the 50t at 525  yards 50lb mono, so should be enough line.    If I do 80lb spectra of about 500 yards, might be able to get 300 yards of 50lb mono on top.  That would give me some leeway if a real bruiser took the bait.

Something I've always wanted to try, time to do it and stop thinking about it.

Shark Hunter

I wish you luck Tristan. Its not that hard. Once you catch your first one. You will be hooked. ;)
My baits of choice are Mullet, Bluefish, Bonita and Stingray. Good Luck to you.
Life is Good!

tristan

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 06, 2015, 10:39:32 PM
It was not long ago that someone posted a nice beach shark caught with a Penn 209.

That's either luck, or skill.    Perhaps a bit of both!

How big was it?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!