Shark from shore - Penn International 50t up to the task?

Started by tristan, March 06, 2015, 10:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuvole

Good catch! The thought of getting hook out of its mouth is scary.

Tightlines667

Get yourself an ARC long handled pigtail dehooker. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

anglingarchitect

Don't get near those teeth, is all I know about shark fishing. I don't even try to remove the hook from most sharks I release.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Lowprofile

its overkill.

this thing didn't even make the 50 sweat. 50lb mono. Don Riniker.

anything under 8ft. cast to them!   this should convince you. tight lines and have fun!

Dominick

Hey that guy is standing in shark infested water.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Lowprofile

Quote from: Dominick on August 08, 2015, 09:52:26 PM
Hey that guy is standing in shark infested water.   :D Dominick

would you believe we swam and speared out baits during the afternoon then ran them out to the same area we were swimming.  :o  the best is when you arrive late and go in to spear rays at dusk and the bulls come check out the ray your bringing in.

Ron Jones

So,
I am a light gear fisherman at heart, but I have brought in 4-6 foot long spoon tails on mitchel 300s in the surf. When I look at an International 50 I get the impression that it can pull down the Empire State Building. Others here do this more than me but I'm certain a Int 50 will handle anything your likely going to get hooked into.

Hope you have a good time.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

anglingarchitect

We caught a 6 footer off the beach with a Penn 750 with 20 lb mono. when i was a kid.my dad did brake the knob off the handle, which made the fight tuff for my dad.
I waded out and dragged it onto the beach by the tail.

50 international should catch most sharks.

Mark

ScottOz

That reel would would certainly be up to the task.We got a 7 footer off the beach on a tld 25 with 30lb mono.Also just set up a tyrnos 50 with 500yds of 100lb braid and about 200yds of 80lb mono as top shot.Got a 8.5 footer on its first trip with ease.

spc7669

There is a balancing act with land based shark fishing. I do a lot with a surf rod and a Shimano TR200G and a Torium 16. 60# JB hollow with a 40# big game topshot. Even smaller fish are fun on these.
I use a 9/0 for bigger fish and it'll skull drag smaller stuff, which is not as much fun.
Daron is targeting once in a lifetime sized fish and his gear is damn near perfect for dealing with those. That 50 is capable of handling some big stuff. If those are your targets, you should be well covered.
I hope to see some of your pictures with a giant or two! Best of luck

Patrick

Shark Hunter

If I had more time to do it Patrick, It would be a reality, but with only two or three weeks a year on the sand, I do the best I can. Hopefully 2017 will be my time.
I am thankful for all I have. Just the chance is all I ask for.
God is Good, and so is Life! ;)
Life is Good!

spc7669

I feel you on the time. And big fish wouldn't be so special if they were easy to catch. When you get your 10+, you'll have plenty of fans here to cheer for the trophy pics!

tristan

This is the year, Daron!

Hopefully, for you and me both.

This spring I'm planning on spending some time on the sand with my 50t, hope to connect with a decent sized blacktip at least...

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!