swag tool that doesn't break the bank?

Started by Shiftee, March 10, 2015, 03:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiftee

Quote from: Three se7ens on March 11, 2015, 04:38:02 AM
There are so many variables, its hard to say anything about past instances other people had.  Personally, I think that heavy of cable is overkill, and falls more under people trying to get long life out of rigs.  I consider mine basically disposable.  After a fight with a large shark, the 300 lb mono leader gets tossed.  If the swivels arent deformed, Ill save them for another use.  The bite leader is just 200 lb or so(i dont remember the exact number) cable, about 8" long, double crimped on each end.  I use aluminum crimps for the mono, and copper for the cable, and the rigs are pretty cheap.  Certainly cheap enough I dont feel bad tossing them after a single big shark, and cheap enough to keep a dozen or more with me.  

As for getting broken off on the bars, thats a whole different world.  Daron's 14/0's with 130 lb mono are about the only defense about that.  Getting main line break-offs is perfectly understandable, and even more reason in my book to not go nuts with the leader.  The leader only needs to be heavy enough to outlast the shark.

btw, fishing my rigs back to back with all cable rigs of the same length, I have consistently gotten more bites on my rigs that only use cable as an 8" bite leader, and 300 lb mono for the rest.

The only problem I see with that is a decent sized shark will inhale the bait. Then you've got teeth sliding against mono when that line pulls back out. Then again plenty of guys fish short bite leaders and get away with it. I was reading an old thread on SOS a little while ago where a guy landed a big lemon on a castable rig. Said he could see the teeth marks on the mono and got lucky enough that it didnt give before the circle set. Same thread a couple guys were talking about seeing the nylon coating completely peeled off their cable to the point where mono woulda been done. I think it's all about what you're targeting, what picks up the bait and a bit of luck. I've got 3 different leaders I use now. Castable leaders that are alot like the ones you describe, short drop/small to mid sized sharks that are shorter 480lb cable with 500lb mono and then these for long drops and big bait that I'm gonna try and target the big boys with.

Shiftee

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 11, 2015, 05:00:35 AM

I've seen that picture before. From the bite mark and the size of the victim it kinda makes you think there's only a few species that coulda done that kind of damage so cleanly. All of them are on my wish list and I know I would have been wishing this little guy had waited his turn.

Shark Hunter

All those species are currently in the Gulf. I really think with all the Whites hanging around. This is their new Nursery.
Life is Good!

Shiftee

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 11, 2015, 05:30:31 AM
All those species are currently in the Gulf. I really think with all the Whites hanging around. This is their new Nursery.
I take it you saw the 10' juvenile white caught from the beach in FL couple weeks back.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 11, 2015, 05:00:35 AM
I agree with you Adam. Maybe when I get some More Under my Belt, I can tell you more. ;)
The break off on the Bars are either from Shells or other Sharks.
Their skin is tough and abrasive.
You know how you catch a descent fish? It maybe a Smallmouth Bass or even a Bluegill.
When you can actually see the fish, There is the same size of fish circling around them. They get worked up in a frenzy. They are not sure what's going on, but they want in on the action.
I think that is what happens with a lot with break offs. When you are reeling in a Shark. There are other sharks around. When they get to that first bar, one of them swims into the line or goes crazy and just tries to eat the other. They are Predators. They eat each other and whatever they can fit in their mouth if they get caught up in the moment. That's why my leader is 30 feet long.

don't be swimming around out there at night....HC.

theswimmer

Here you go....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nicopress-Tool-GUARANTEED-crimper-No-17-2-17-BA-National-Telephone-Supply-/112370531306?hash=item1a29ce3bea:g:6LcAAOSwj25Y8NvO

I have about 5 or six swaggers of various sizes.
This is what you want. ::)
From Nicopress, the company that invented this stuff.

Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn