New Boss Fury

Started by al_n_VB757, March 10, 2015, 02:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_n_VB757

They removed the double dogs in the silver and gold reels? Does this reel only have the anti-reverse bearing? That stinks if it did. I was about to upgrade all my  jigging reels with the Boss Fury line.  I was going to add the anti reverse bearing to the reel.

mike1010

Charkbait says ARB-only, no dogs.  I agree that stinks, unless accurate made some amazing breakthrough in ARB technology (unlikely).
http://charkbait.com/specials.htm#Special_1

foakes

History can be a useful teacher --

Companies can live or die if they explore basic marketing principles -- or if they do not.

Penn went through these phases 70 or 80 years ago -- in their quest to make reels more affordable for the average fisherman.  There were offerings that included plastic or metal spools, single pair or double rings, fancy names for cheaper chrome plating, and outside material/parts sourcing that would save labor when assembling product.

And because of this business mindset of constantly being aware of the market and competition -- Penn was able to stay in business and offer decent products for decades -- all while maintaining a reputation for value and quality.

How many other companies can you name that have come and gone during this same time?  I can name dozens of large ones, and many smaller ones.

Along comes Accurate --

They come out with a very good series of reels -- they develop a reputation for quality and performance.  They incorporate some very good features such as twin drag, double dogs, superior performance.  They hit their target market after a decade and a half -- but then they arrive at a plateau -- and sales are steady, but flat.

They see the other competition gaining ground on them by doing a few tweaks, improvements, and design changes (Penn, Avet, Okuma, and others).

And they look at why they are losing some market share -- and it comes down to price point vs. perceived value.

So they find ways to cut a few corners, while making it sound like improvements.  

They use ARBs, instead of dogs in 2 of their 3 lines.  They cut out the twin drag in the lower line.  And other minor changes.

During the last holiday season, they offered rebates on these reels -- since they needed to keep product moving.  And they found out that the lower effective price sells their products very well.

The price is closer to the Penns and Avets -- while offering the reputation and Accurate name.

Yes, I would buy the dog version -- but an Accurate at that lower price point is still a solid value.  Let's face it -- GOOD ARBs rarely fail, and when they do, it is an easy fix -- and every other manufacturer out there just has a single side drag system, anyway.

So I do appreciate a company adjusting to the market, when needed.

And, the consumer will ultimately be the judge.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Frank

Not sure what model you're looking for but I have a brand new in the box FX-600NN with the dogs and the all new style Accurate anti-reverse bearing for $270.00 plus shipping if interested.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Frank

I also have a brand new in the box FX-500 with the dogs and the Accurate anti-reverse bearing for $245.00 plus shipping if interested.

Not sure if it's the very latest anti-reverse bearing it was manufactured in January 2014.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

al_n_VB757

Quote from: Frank on March 10, 2015, 06:28:12 PM
I also have a brand new in the box FX-500 with the dogs and the Accurate anti-reverse bearing for $245.00 plus shipping if interested.

Not sure if it's the very latest anti-reverse bearing it was manufactured in January 2014.

Fred,
Great retort! If you had a Fury 400 ( the old ,silver ones with the dogs), I would be all over it.

alantani

smokin' deals, both of them......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on March 10, 2015, 09:00:04 PM
smokin' deals, both of them......
If they smoke, you might want to grease the drags with some Cal's ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

The Narrow 400 looks like a nice flounder/blackfish/triggerfish reel.  If I can ask a reel newbie question... ::)....some sites say the ARB bearings are nice/smooth and great in this reel but some folks prefer the dogs; can I get a short explanation as to which is better?  Accurate looks to be saying these are new and improved bearings.  I'm sure it's personal preference but just curious. 
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

foakes

In my opinion--

Double dogs are better than a single dog

A single dog is better than an ARB (Anti Reverse Bearing)

But an ARB is cheaper, smoother, and less noisy

Having said that, they are trying to save any money possible on these reels as they lower the price

When a guy goes into a tackle shop -- first thing he/she does is look at the brand, then crank the handle to see how smooth it is -- as they dream of the fish they will catch with it.  If it has the reputation of an Accurate, is super smooth with the infinite anti reverse, and is in a new lower price range -- it will likely sell.

That is why they only did the ARB by itself on 2 of their lower Fury models.

"New and improved" is generally sales translation for cheaper to manufacture.

The marketing department is having some serious input with the engineering department.

Still a good value -- just need to have an extra ARB on hand when servicing, if needed.  But you won't normally know there is a problem until it fails.

Good reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

If you can install a second ARB, it would help.  A back up is better than no back up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastal_dan

Very interesting.  Thanks.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Bryan Young

It's a deal considering the quality of Accurate reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastal_dan

At $234 w/ 300 yds of 30 lb depth counter braid, free shipping, free reel cover, 2 years warranty and free service for 2 years I couldn't pass one up.  It was cheaper than most similar used reels in this size range.  Figured I'm not too hard on gear but plan on using it for blackfish, triggerfish, flounder, and other bottom eaters.  We shall see once it gets here...they sure are pretty!
Dan from Philadelphia...

steelfish

Quote from: coastal_dan on March 17, 2015, 05:43:53 PM
At $234 w/ 300 yds of 30 lb depth counter braid, free shipping, free reel cover, 2 years warranty and free service for 2 years I couldn't pass one up.  It was cheaper than most similar used reels in this size range.  Figured I'm not too hard on gear but plan on using it for blackfish, triggerfish, flounder, and other bottom eaters.  We shall see once it gets here...they sure are pretty!

Dan, I know this is from more than a year, but where did you found this promo price?
The Baja Guy