Penn Mag 210

Started by thorhammer, March 10, 2015, 03:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Have been spending a lot of time bolting together Franken-Penn's from the parts bins and decided it's time to show some love to a couple I actually fish with:

Can anyone advise proper size delrin and smoothies or carbontex for Penn Mag 10 and 210? I love these guys and use them on stripers. They are high speed so I don't think the 9 and 209 drags will fit; I've never opened them.

They'll get handle upgrade and SS screws too.

Thanks,

John

Keta

I just finished resurrecting, and installing thin washer drag kits, a 10 and 210 from my pile of reels I have been robbing parts off of.  They will both be used for salmon this season.  These reels were great reels that came out too late.

The 10 uses the same washers 6-60 as the 60, the 210 takes the 6-500 Jigmaster size washers.  Bryan has thin washer kits for both, Dawn at SmoOoth Drag has carbontex sets.

The 9 and 209 use the smaller 6-155.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

Thanks, Keta, I just saw this! I have a load of 9's and just finished my two 209's also, but I actually use the 10's  and 210's a fair amount. I think these Mags are underrated reels that dont get a lot of focus but they perform well in my applications.

Mic

I'll tell ya what, I'm glad I read this before I started asking a lot of, well, odd questions!

Yawl are damn well fantastic!

I got a couple 5+1 drag kits from Bryon a couple of weeks ago and put 2 of them in a couple of 210's this weekend. What a reel! What a drag stack! And them arms and handles on them 210's make it look like a winch! No, not that kind, the other kind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, my odd question is, does Smooth Drag make a 5+1 drag kit for the Penn 9 ?

Another odd question.
If I used Cal's Grease on the drag stack. Can I use it for the bearing as well or am I better off using ReelX for the bearings and Cal's for just the drag ?

Boy, yawl are tougher than a 10 year old bull stake!  I sure like all the help you fellers have offered me in upgrading my equipment. I haven't tested it yet, but I been told the 210's with the 5+1 drag stack kit would give me a 20+ pound drag system. I better figure out how to put a seat belt in my boat!!!!!!!

Thanks again yawl, Mic

Keta

I made a few sets of .020"  7-155 metal washers but gave them away to be tested.   I took the CF washers from one of Bryan's 5+1 kits for a 5-60 main gear and altered the OD to fit the 5-155 main gear.  The 7-155 metal washers fit in the 5-109 main gear used in the 9.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mic

Quote from: Keta on April 13, 2015, 02:02:37 PM
I made a few sets of .020"  7-155 metal washers but gave them away to be tested.   I took the CF washers from one of Bryan's 5+1 kits for a 5-60 main gear and altered the OD to fit the 5-155 main gear.  The 7-155 metal washers fit in the 5-109 main gear used in the 9.

Thanks Keta,
I guess it could be done, but it's more like "why would you ?". If I wanted to  give up a good set of drag washers and have some custom metal washers made, I could do it.

I use my 9's for light duty fishing like catching big bait for my 210's.

Thanks again for your help~!

Mic

Keta

If you need a upgrade for the 9 a 10 is a good reel and uses the 60 size washers.

Mark Twain

Mic

Quote from: Keta on April 15, 2015, 08:08:53 PM
If you need a upgrade for the 9 a 10 is a good reel and uses the 60 size washers.

I had a couple of the 10's some time back and traded them off for 210's. I guess that's about as good an upgrade for a 9 as you can get without having to pick up a Penn wrench.

Thanks again Keta~!