Newell 546 Side Plate Screws

Started by dan45hk, November 25, 2010, 04:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan45hk

I took apart my newly bought 546 for the first time and had some trouble with the side plate screws.  I'm not sure if I mixed up the screws but I had 5 equal sized shorter screws go into the left thinner side plate and 4 longer screws go into the right side plate plus one oddball longer screw go into the right end where the metal connecting rod goes (there was not a matching screw for the connecting bar on the other side which seemed strange).  Anyway all the screws seemed to have the threads sheared off towards the top of the screw and they went in a little tough.  Is this normal?  I don't think I have them on the wrong end plate because the longer screws go with the thicker plate and the threads won't catch if I try to switch sides.

So is it normal for the threads to be sheared off the end plate screws?

franky

Quote from: dan45hk on November 25, 2010, 04:45:47 AM
Is it normal for the threads to be sheared off the end plate screws?

Of all my newells, I too have noticed that some of the screws holding the sideplate appear to be sheared off.  In my opinion....it is somewhat normal... :-\

And yes, sometimes the screws are a bit difficult to screw in.  For added insurance, always put a little grease on all of the screws and a dab into the screw holes.  As long as the sideplate is not shimming or appear to be loose after tightening the screws, you should be alright.

I guess that is part of the newell "love/hate" characteristics...It is the lightest and easiest reels to cast, however, the mechanical tolerances are a bit hmmmm... ???

I hope this brings a little more comfort to your mind, you're not the only one.  ;D  I still love my newells... :)

Phinaddict

.....Kinda like an old Chevy......
I have 2 Newells and both have screws as described above, so I think you're OK. Like Franky
says, grease them first and go for it.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know