Penn Senator 9/0 High speed gears anyone?

Started by trond_solem, March 13, 2015, 12:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

You are right about Volta and Edison, Sal!

Just like everyone thinks Christopher Columbus discovered North America --

Historical archeologists have proven that Mariners from Northern Europe and the Eastern Mediterranean visited and set up outposts in some cases -- hundreds or thousands of years before Columbus.

The difference, like Edison -- is that Columbus marketed, implemented, and shared with others his plans and discoveries.  And he was able to seek out funding for his voyages from outside sources.  And he had a goal to continue on with his discoveries, and turn them into viable projects.

Anyway, that is off topic. 

I still think Italians are clever marketeers!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Sorry we pulled away from the subject Trond, I and I'm sure many others here, have been enjoying your posts, thank you.
Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a trip to visit your beautiful place, if it happens I'll fill a bag with parts so you won't need to worry about shipping costs ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Good idea, Sal --

Actually, If there is anyone going over that way in the future? -- we should get a community package of Penn items together to give Trond.

Looks like a beautiful country.

Keep it in mind.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

trond_solem

Quote from: foakes on March 15, 2015, 11:32:35 PM
Good idea, Sal --

Actually, If there is anyone going over that way in the future? -- we should get a community package of Penn items together to give Trond.

Looks like a beautiful country.

Keep it in mind.

Best,

Fred

For a community package of penn items, I would pay the shippping cost with a big smile on my face! :)

marc77

Yes, I very much enjoy using the Senator 114 reels for offshore fishing.  I wanted to use the 114HLW  and 115 reels to get more line capacity without using braid backing.

I have many lever drag two speed reels.  They are great for trolling.  But I like using star drag reels for bait fishing.

I installed longer handles on my offshore star drag reels.  They certainly add more cranking power, but one can increase the handle length only so much before it becomes uncomfortable and awkward.

In response to Sal's remark regarding sportmanship, the ultimate is catching a 300 lbs swordfish on a hand line (yoyo).  Mano a mano, no rod, no reel.  There are many places in this world where that is done on a daily basis.  It works just fine.  They do it in Florida and it is lots of fun.

Tightlines667

Quote from: marc77 on March 15, 2015, 11:53:42 PM

Yes, I very much enjoy using the Senator 114 reels for offshore fishing.  I wanted to use the 114HLW  and 115 reels to get more line capacity without using braid backing.

I have many lever drag two speed reels.  They are great for trolling.  But I like using star drag reels for bait fishing.

I installed longer handles on my offshore star drag reels.  They certainly add more cranking power, but one can increase the handle length only so much before it becomes uncomfortable and awkward.

In response to Sal's remark regarding sportmanship, the ultimate is catching a 300 lbs swordfish on a hand line (yoyo).  Mano a mano, no rod, no reel.  There are many places in this world where that is done on a daily basis.  It works just fine.  They do it in Florida and it is lots of fun.

I have pulled many Swords in on handline gear.  The trick is to limit the pressure you apply, since it is easy to rip through their relatively soft mouths.  These were on commercial gear, and we often utilized a 'spider' device, to finish the job.  These are multiprong gaff hooks that swivel and are attached to a heavy carrier that xan be clamped on the line, and sent down to gaff the fish in the head during the last 50-100' of the fight.  We once caught a monster 900lb + female that had several smaller 60-100lb males swimming circles around the fish.  I had a fishing rod and free casted seversl beautiful rigged deadbaits riggt in front of these fish, but they showed absolutely no interested.  Swordfish are beautiful and remarkable animsls, and wonderful table fare to boot.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

marc77

Tightlines:

The 900 lbs swordfish must have been an awesome sight.  The largest that we caught sport fishing was 400 lbs and that was a large fish.  I cannot imagine what a fish more than twice that size would look like.

Tightlines667

Quote from: marc77 on March 16, 2015, 09:34:31 PM

Tightlines:

The 900 lbs swordfish must have been an awesome sight.  The largest that we caught sport fishing was 400 lbs and that was a large fish.  I cannot imagine what a fish more than twice that size would look like.

It was a true monster, and still stands as the 3rd largest caught in history of (past 15 years) of the HI-permitted Swordfish longline fishery.  She came up dead, and was full of cookie cutter bites, old, healed battle scars, and shark bite wounds.  If only that fish could have talked. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.