Delrin washers...?

Started by Aiala, March 13, 2015, 04:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawn

Forgot one, delrin for the Calcutta 400,  .040 thick
Dawn

speedwagon2

hello,
   I am using Delrin washers under the main gear on several of my Newell's with Bryan's hotrod drag stacks.  Has anyone tried a Delrin washer under the spring washer, or maybe on top of the spring washer in a Newell?  I like the Delrin under the main gear, the initial drag is very smooth.  I don't think I have lost any drag, but have not tested to find out.  Bryans brakes add so much drag,  I have plenty to spare.

Bryan Young

Note that I use Carbontex drag washers in many of my drag kits because they are the best available.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brendan

I have noticed the usual in the know people appear to be divided on this topic. Any final thoughts?

Bryan Young

Honestly, I just have not tried them yet to determine if, for me it's go or no-go. 

I've been super busy, and I though I would have a chance today, but a reel that I though would be fixed in 2 hours took me 9 hours to get it right...  A bit of customization of parts and a lot of trial and error...and now I can honestly say, I HATE fixing John Baker reels with the push button and spring lever release gear transmission system...  But it's all good...reel is working like a champ.  Whew...I was about to give up.  And this was my 3rd session to try to fix the reel.  Persistence paid off this time.

anyway, I digress.  I just got some material from Lee, so I'm going to punch them out and try them on a few reels then off to the park I got to run like an idiot pulling the drags until they are hot and see how it does with the heat of a running fish...or fat man in my case.  Stay tuned.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 29, 2015, 06:33:15 AM
Honestly, I just have not tried them yet to determine if, for me it's go or no-go. 

I've been super busy, and I though I would have a chance today, but a reel that I though would be fixed in 2 hours took me 9 hours to get it right...  A bit of customization of parts and a lot of trial and error...and now I can honestly say, I HATE fixing John Baker reels with the push button and spring lever release gear transmission system...  But it's all good...reel is working like a champ.  Whew...I was about to give up.  And this was my 3rd session to try to fix the reel.  Persistence paid off this time.

anyway, I digress.  I just got some material from Lee, so I'm going to punch them out and try them on a few reels then off to the park I got to run like an idiot pulling the drags until they are hot and see how it does with the heat of a running fish...or fat man in my case.  Stay tuned.

honestly the delrin with PTFE has a noticeable difference.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 29, 2015, 06:33:15 AM
...a reel that I though would be fixed in 2 hours took me 9 hours to get it right..Persistence paid off this time.

I feel.your suffering Bryan.  I spent 9hrs on what was essentially/typically a 2hr job a few nights ago.  Hope the 3 reels I've got dissassembled right now will gotogether smoothly tmrw. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

Quote from: speedwagon2 on March 22, 2015, 04:34:14 PM
hello,
   I am using Delrin washers under the main gear on several of my Newell's with Bryan's hotrod drag stacks.  Has anyone tried a Delrin washer under the spring washer, or maybe on top of the spring washer in a Newell?  I like the Delrin under the main gear, the initial drag is very smooth.  I don't think I have lost any drag, but have not tested to find out.  Bryans brakes add so much drag,  I have plenty to spare.

To make the stack fit in the reel nicely I used .020 delrin under the gear and under the bellevile on top of the drag stack. Works very smooth and very strong. No drag lost at all. Just runs smoother.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Brendan on March 29, 2015, 03:12:32 AM
I have noticed the usual in the know people appear to be divided on this topic. Any final thoughts?
Brendan, if you think about how the reel works for just a minute, you should be able to answer your own question.
The washer for under the gear should help the gear spin smoothly and not adding friction.
Some are combining the two, these should not. The washers in the stack and the one under the gear have different functions... as they should.
The best solution is for you to try it for yourself and let us know if you feel the difference.
It should be noticeable just by testing the reel in your hands, but really noticeable when fishing with it.
To me, an Acetal/Delrin washer is one of the best upgrade we have available., for those of you that claim the carbon washer is a better choice, that's fine too, whatever floats your boat ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

i,ve also been using the delrin in the tension cap
better than those copper ones that the shaft deforms
cheers

alantani

yeah, i still use carbon fiber.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on March 30, 2015, 05:15:20 AM
yeah, i still use carbon fiber.   :-\
Quote from: Bryan Young on March 30, 2015, 05:35:39 AM
Quote from: alantani on March 30, 2015, 05:15:20 AM
yeah, i still use carbon fiber.   :-\
Me too... ;D
The best solution is for you to try it for yourself and let us know if you feel the difference. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Sal
You know you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. ;D ;)

broschro