Penn 9/0

Started by NovaSS, March 13, 2015, 11:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NovaSS

Is this penn 9/0 worth hotroding up or should i just sell it and buy a 12/0? I got it from my one of my friends who bought it new around 10-15 years ago i dont remember exactly. But i was with him when he bought it. but he used it once when he worked on a tug boat in the gulf for wahoo one trip and since then he had it bouncing around his garage for all these years. I bought it today for $100+ traded tools. it was covered in dust, i just gave it a rinse off with the hose.

RowdyW

Yes it's worth modifying according to your budget. How big are the fish you are going after? For the 9/0 you can beef it up with lots of s/s parts like gear sleeves, yokes, quicker ratio s/s gears, upscale drags, aluminum frames, etc. Even in box stock condition it is a real tough reel with a spool to carry lots of line. There's a lot you can do or service it & use it as is & see if you would like to do any upgrades.       RUDY

Shark Hunter

This new inserts kit will be available soon. Check it out.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13341.0
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

The 9/0s are a perfect balance of rugged, reliable, lightweight performance..in my opinion.

If you are happy with the capacity keep it and fish it with a standard service and minor upgrades (New greased CF drags/ if existing are asbestos or heavily worn, SS gear sleeve/if bronze is rounded off.  You can always get a SS gear set and/or insert later if desired.

The 12/0s have a greater line capacity, better line retrieval rate, and good stock drag numbers, but they are definately not as easy of a reel to fish owing to their weight and size.  9/0s are well balanced and easy to handle standup.  The 12/0s are typically better when utilizing a fighting chair, or rod holder, the 14/0s can be downright unweildy when involved in a long standup fight  in my opinion.  Though it really comes down to what you are using the gear for, and what is comfortable with your style of fishing. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

The two things I would do to a 9/0 --

Drag Stack upgrade with SS & Cal's greased CFs

And, if possible within a budget -- a solid aluminum frame.

I have seen a fair number of 9/0s with tweaked stands.  Lot of torque on that stand.

That reel can be put up against nearly any reel in the world -- with just a few minor changes -- if set up properly, and serviced for the fight.

Great size, and great reels.

I am setting one up right now that Daron gave me -- it will have a Tom/Dom frame, and a proper drag stack.

Pictures will post when done.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

One of the Senator Experts on this Board, Daron (AKA Sharkhunter) -- recently gave me an old 9/0 he found under some stuff in his garage.  He also gave me a new Tom/Dom solid black frame.

Thanks, Daron!

Broke it down completely, ultrasonically cleaned all parts, replaced the old thick drag stack with 5 + 5 CFs & SS, new UG washer, Cal's drag grease, Shimano Marine grease on all inner workings, sideplates inside, under rings, screws, etc., oiled, adjusted, tested all functions.

2 minutes and 22 seconds of free spool without line.  Spooled with 60 pound Big Game to get it ready and test drag numbers.  Lifted 2 20 pound dumbells off of the ground at full lock down -- so it may have a little over 40 pounds.

Again, the only parts replaced were the drag stack, UG washer, and the frame -- everything else is original.

Love these tough old soldiers -- nearly bulletproof, even after all these years.

Thanks again,  Daron!

Best,

Fred

Before breaking down --

After breaking down --

After ultrasonic cleaning --

After reassembly --

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Looks good Fred, I hope you bring in a nice trophy with it, enjoy it!

Sal....Good job Daron ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Nice work Fred!  Looks like you dropped a ProChallenger SS gear (2.8:1) set in her too?  Stock are 2.5:1, wonder what this translates to in line retrieval rate ("s/crank)? Might be a good canidate for these new inserts given the fact you've got a frame. 
Hope springs eternal

foakes

Thanks, John --

No, I just cleaned up the gears and bearings that were in there with the Ultrasonic and a lacquer thinner bath ahead of that to loosen the grease.

They were already SS -- and the tested ratio is still stock at 2.5:1.

Only thing replaced was the drag stack, UG washer, and the frame.  I did add an old green very thin "smooth drag" disc on the top of the stack between the last SS disc and the top hat.

Trying to see what a basically stock 9/0 -- with just a couple of key upgrades & properly set up will do.

That new drag system is probably the way to go though.

Just tore down 8 old 85s, DelMars, and Monofils this afternoon -- cleaned, and ready to put back in service.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Tightlines667

Good work.  I just tried a stock undergear washer on top of an old 9/0 stack yesterday as well, w/my last Delron washer under the gear.  I am working on an 80STW, an 80SW both in terrible condition, a Tiagra 30 w/another case of a faulty cast bronze clicker pawl retainer, a Tiagra 130 that is in bad..bad shape due to continued heavy use despite faulty bearings (I think it beeds a new gear set, drive shaft, drive shaft bushing, all new bearings..etc...), and 2 Triton Beqstmaster 80/130s ready for reassembly.  This should easily take me a week to 10 days for this lot.
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Fred,
Great Job bringing that old Girl back to life. I knew you would make me proud, and you did. ;)
I can't think of any other individual on this site that deserves it more than yourself. Good Job! ;D
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

UKChris

Lovely job - the 9/0 is something special...

NovaSS

Great job on the 9/0. I like the aftermarket frames, i done some searching and really like the frame that goes all the way around the reel. I tore the reel down over the weekend and everything looked like new. I figured since it only caught one fish. but I test the drag before the tare down and it isnt impressive. with a full spool of 80lb and the drag locked down it still slipped and didnt come close to braking the line. I cleaned everything and greased it up. I think im going to upgrade the drag first and if i can find frame at a good price ill pick it up also. I really like the aluminum frame that wraps around the reel.

Shark Hunter

The half frames are going to available here again. They go for about $100. The accurate full frame will cost at least double, if not more.
Life is Good!